hate to go on about this forever, but this seems to be one of the only places i can get all my little pedantic questions answered. im totally clueless about most things in this country.

the over night bus from shinjuku leaves at 10:30pm and arrives at 5:30...why does it take much longer than the buses that go during the day (usually 4 ish hours) do they go slower at night, more stops etc just so you arrive at a half decent time?

its the owls.

owls r tricky to see, but when u see one, wow.

all night bus drivers like owls, so they drive slowly in case they can catch a glimpse.

and heres the crux. its doubly tricky to spot owls from the expressway, so they dont use them. they wind, in no great haste down the backroads.

i once took an evening drive out to a slope near ontake and saw one (a night bus, not an owl) and they drive slow. but ive caught aplenty, and u dont notice.

the weekend buses sometimes are packed, but i can't imagine the night one in the middle of the week being full. regardless, they are really comfy and super quiet. sometimes eerily quiet- it's like everyone's afraid to speak or something. anyways, enjoy your trip!

i just booked my tickets online. the website was totally in japanese.

i dont speak a word of japanese. lets just hope the translating guys over at alta vista and my knowledge of chinese characters (similar to kanji) will pull through for me.