When 'we have stock' means 'we don't have stock'

Over the last few weeks I have had a few experiences of buying stuff online when places have said that they have stock - only to order and be told that they do not have stock and I need to wait, in one case being told to wait indefinitely.

I'm wondering if they are doing the "we have stock" thing simply to get to the top of a list and get people to order from them....... or whether it is actually a genuine issue with non-real-time stock info on a website, be it Amazon or Kakaku or whatever. And can't be helped.

I am inclined to understand that a place on Marketplace is more likely to have issues updating this than amazon themselves (who I am still really annoyed at for their deceptions and pathetic support :grandpa: )

One thing for sure is that it is very annoying to order something that you are told is in stock and be told that it isn't.

Anyone else encounter stuff like this?

I would say that some places DEFINITELY do that to get a high place and orders and do it intentionally.

Last year I reported a place for what I thought was doing that, though I'm not sure what came of that.

Hopefully they get penalised if they are caught doing it.

I have experienced that before on Amazon Marketplace.

I didn't cancel though as they were a fair bit cheaper than an alternative, but I know what you mean it can be frustrating.

A bit 'bait and switch' kind of thing hey.

I did get to give them a very bad review on their page though, carefully crafted by my Japanese friend. :)

I got an English book a couple of weeks back from Amazon Japan and it took nearly two weeks to turn up despite being "in stock". Had it been for someone's birthday or to read on a trip somewhere, it would have been too late. I guess "in stock" meant "in stock in a warehouse somewhere in the USA".

I got an English book a couple of weeks back from Amazon Japan and it took nearly two weeks to turn up despite being "in stock". Had it been for someone's birthday or to read on a trip somewhere, it would have been too late. I guess "in stock" meant "in stock in a warehouse somewhere in the USA".

:lol:

Me no like all this.

Amazon for all it's crappy support if you need it is just generally easier than kakaku and rakuten I feel.

Always compare price, but if about the same I usually take the easier amazon option.

Going through this right now....ordered some specialty tools from the US all listed as in stock....got an email saying 3 items out of the 10 I ordered were out of stock... grrr....