Having just been to Muikamachi Hakkaisan and, a couple of months ago, to Happo-One, 2 of the Japanese resorts known for their moguls, I still fail to see their attraction. :wakaranai: Yes, I’m a snowboarder rather than a skier, so maybe I’m never going to get it, but apart from the challenge aspect, they just seem to be an easy route to knee surgery! Exhibit No.1:-

Mick%20Rich_221.jpg

Don’t get me wrong, a good mogul skier (can I say “moguler”?) looks impressive, as did the guy I saw on Saturday who straight-lined a mogul field before doing a backflip off a small kicker at the bottom! But otherwise they look like an accident waiting to happen and I only ever go near them if it’s the only way for me to get down the mountain or they’re filled in with powder! :D

Thoughts anyone?

I'm not the one to talk, since I'm terrible at moguls, but I would like to learn to ski them some day.

The reason is the challenge aspect as you put it, specifically, the moment-to-moment, think-and-react-quickly skill that would be required.

That is the primal thrill I remember as a kid learning to ski, and going to moguls seems a good way to tap back into that.

Of course, I am older, heavier and slower than I was then, so perhaps will never be in condition to get into the zone that would be required.

But that doesn't stop me from taking a stab now and then. (With sometimes comical results.)

As an old skool skier in Japan, moguls are just an unavoidable condition. Once you get the hang of it, it isn´t all that difficult if you approach it in a certain way. The ultimate is straight lining it, your body doesn´t divert from the fall line ... It´s cool to watch this stuff, but when you think about it, this is all artificial terrain. In a way, it´s like park ...

Narrow ski runs plus lots of people with most average skiers transverse gives you moguls. We used to dream about European Alps. Can´t really dig the hype about most Japanese ski-jo , ie) Nozawa, Naeba, Shiga . I am lucky (in terms of snowboarding) I now live in Europe.

As a snowboarder, moguls are crap. Powder (and carving) is what gives me that feel that skis don´t give me. Skis are versatile for sure to move around, walk, and anyone can pick it up easily. So why do I snowboard? Like I said, it´s not for moguls.

Interesting to hear the skiers' perspective!

with you mick.

Where was that photo taken?

Umm, not sure tbh as I found it online, but I think it was somewhere in Canada?! :D

Don't like them.

Very possibly because I'm rubbish at them.

Puts me off Happo big time.

Hakkai-san for the most part you can just avoid that big long run if you want and it not bother you.

I'm a skier and I used to do them a lot back in Canada. But these days it's all about the powder. I literally think of bumps as a waste of time and good terrain. It's kind of like the smoking section in a restaurant, a few partake but for the majority it's just an annoyance.

I think they're a bit of a historical relic and that a lot of them should be groomed away in keeping with customer demand.

You can be at Happo and see hundreds of people on Panorama and then look up and see about five people on Usagi and Tanuki. That tells its own story.

I think its crap that patrol make snowboarders who make a little jump (which is easy to avoid) destroy it when they're finished, but let a group of skiers to make a mogul run all down the course that just gets left.

• Like 1

Not fun in the normal sense, but I do enjoy the challenge of tackling moguls on a snowboard. Great training for edge control and fast edge to edge transitions. Of course I only ever partake if the mogul course happens to be the only way down the mountain :lol:

Not fun in the normal sense, but I do enjoy the challenge of tackling moguls on a snowboard. Great training for edge control and fast edge to edge transitions.

That's the kind of training I can do without!!! :D

I think some people in Japan are stuck in the past regarding what people want out of skiing. The "spend a fortune on lessons and badge tests" technical approach is increasingly old fashioned. Folks don't have a fortune to spend and want more fun than spending half the day standing on the side listening to an instructor and the other half on one ski at a time.

Stem probably knows this but is it possible to ride down the Olympic Downhill course at Happo on a typical day and encounter no moguls? Don't you get them on the lower part of Panorama too?

Mr W, some good points there. Shame I didn't meet you in Hakuba at New Year for a pint, when I met Stemik, Pete and TJ. Next time hopefully we can meet for a beer or 2....you always have a very balanced view of things.

I think some people in Japan are stuck in the past regarding what people want out of skiing. The "spend a fortune on lessons and badge tests" technical approach is increasingly old fashioned. Folks don't have a fortune to spend and want more fun than spending half the day standing on the side listening to an instructor and the other half on one ski at a time.

Stem probably knows this but is it possible to ride down the Olympic Downhill course at Happo on a typical day and encounter no moguls? Don't you get them on the lower part of Panorama too?

They don't groom the steep part directly in front of the downhill start shack but the rest of it down Panorama is groomed.