Some snowy pics of Kofu and surrounding area from today 29th Feb 2012

Just a few pics of the snow we got today!

med_gallery_8995_160_1422604.jpg

One of my fields in Southern Kofu

med_gallery_8995_160_1561692.jpg

The road near my house, Northern Kofu

med_gallery_8995_160_1475827.jpg

A frozen tree

med_gallery_8995_160_134398.jpg

Just up the road from my house

med_gallery_8995_160_2070626.jpg

Further along the road

med_gallery_8995_160_1972856.jpg

med_gallery_8995_160_1207908.jpg

My dog playing in the snow!

I'm in Numazu, Shizuoka. I've seen snow in the air before here... actually a surreal morning last week with very bright skies and giant snow flakes falling (lasted about 15 mins)... but never any accumulation. At least I never have to worry about clearing my driveway or scraping ice off my car (a dream for a Canadian boy!)

At the moment im growing sweetcorn inside double tunnels also got lots of things growing in my greenhouse. Basically I grow pretty much all the vegetables you see in the shops includig a few unusual ones such as kohl rabi, ice plants etc.

Yeah I wear the straw hat in summer!

You got more than us yesterday that's for sure!

:doh:

Yes we did, Actually that sounds good, Yamanashi out snowing Niigata!!!

Doesn't happen very often though!

do you grow beetroot? I'd love to get some fresh beetroot but have never seen it in the shops. My mrs mum, who's a budding gardener and grows lots of vegetables, has never heard of them

do you grow beetroot? I'd love to get some fresh beetroot but have never seen it in the shops. My mrs mum, who's a budding gardener and grows lots of vegetables, has never heard of them

Yes I do as I too like beetroot.

You can buy the seeds here but have to go to professional seed shop, local diy / gardening shops don't have them.

Japanese people don't know about beetroot as they dont eat them and virtually no one grows them either.

I can buy canned beetroot, which is ok but its in brine and not vinegar. I managed to get a jar from the US base at Atsugi, and I've been transferring the jar into that vinegar. I love pickled beetroot! :yummy:

Ya...I thought about that years ago....Why o why do the Japanese not have the beet market cornered. I always thought it strange they don't do pickled beets. Hmm....sounds like a business opportunity.... Shizuoka/Yamanashi beets.

I have let some try pickled beetroot that I have grown and pickled myself, but no one much seems to like the taste! I eat them in a sandwich with cheese or together with a salad, delicious.

I think it is just simply one of those tastes that don't appeal to Japanese.

I will be growing some agaon this year.

I grow beetroot in Shizuoka and find it surprisingly hard. It's too hot around here :(

Do you use a mulching sheet when you grow beetroot?

If not this year when you grow them, use a mulch on a raised seed bed, and make sure to water the beet regularly during the hot weather, but only water in the evening when the sun is going down, or if not possible early morning before the sun is up. A good soaking will not hurt.

Root vegetables, such as daikon, radish, beetroot etc, need to be able to grow quickly so that they don't get eaten too much and so that they grow nice and tender.

Very heavy soil is not good, too wet when it rains and too dry when it doesn't. Sandy soil also not good, as it will not hold enough moisture.

Too wet is no good though of course.

Too dry is also no good they will become woody and tasteless.

Too much water after a dry spell will cause them to split also.

Thanks snowdude. I'll give it a go. Tbh, the soil around here is a bit of a problem as well. Too dry and too wet (of course not at the same time) are a problem around here. The last couple of years have been a real eye opener for gardening. Being able to grow stuff during the winter is pretty wild for someone who grew up in snow country!

no and what they call vinegar is nothing like the vinegar that we use back home, thankfully there's a place in the train station where I live that sells Sarsons Malt Vinegar.........ah salt n vinegar chips, great!!