:lol: ice hockey is cool.

On the seroius note, a good reminder and points out no go area ...

I think carrying a mobile is compulsory. and a walkie-talkie with your mates ...

I am even thinking of flare guns :confused:

What piece of equipment could have helped in that situation? Ice pick?

yes, you gotta love hockey. im teaching that unit to my students now. they enjoy it.

as for equipment. whistle, rope, shovel, maybe flares. i think if i could have whistled loud enough or sent a flare, some one could have came and got me and i could have threw them my rope. if i fell in the water i would have definately needed a shovel do dig out and to surface then snowshoes to trudged through that armpit deep snow.

im soo glad that didnt have to happen.

I just got back from almost dying a slow freezing death at Hakkoda today. I did a nice little slack country run on my first trip down.. one I had never done before. Of course I was going to do it again the second time round. Well I did, and I missed a CRUCIAL turn somewhere without noticing. It was 2:00PM. I have no idea how but I wound up in the ravine just like you. I knew that was not a safe way to keep going so I decided the only sensible choice was to follow my own track back UPHILL. I called my wife to let her know I had messed up and would be late. I wasn't really sure where I was, but I felt like she needed the false confidence, and I had to buy some time. After an hour of inching my way uphill through 70cm on top of the previous days 60cm of snow, I decided it was whistle time. I blew and blew and blew, but little did I know I was WAY off course. Then I pulled out my phone to call Hakkoda and tell them I was lost. I hit send and the phone dies before even placing the call. All I knew was that I Was west of the marked course, heading east meant all uphill but I felt there wasn't any other option. after 3.5 hours and darkness settling in I REALLY didn't know if I had gone the right way and I was ill-prepared to make a snow cave or the likes to spend the night. All of a sudden the Hotel came into view as I trudged along, and I never felt such a sense. I almost cried to be honest. I got in the car and left immediately. Be careful out there! Stick to trails you know, and get a guide to familiarize yourself with new terrain if you feel you absolutely must go there on your own!

glad your ok. i think your right. we feel comfortable and thats what sends us out to do dangerous things that dont look dangerous in the first place. good story. i could feel your pain and sense of being lost in deep, dark and cold circumstances.

I just got back from almost dying a slow freezing death at Hakkoda today. I did a nice little slack country run on my first trip down.. one I had never done before. Of course I was going to do it again the second time round. Well I did, and I missed a CRUCIAL turn somewhere without noticing. It was 2:00PM. I have no idea how but I wound up in the ravine just like you. I knew that was not a safe way to keep going so I decided the only sensible choice was to follow my own track back UPHILL. I called my wife to let her know I had messed up and would be late. I wasn't really sure where I was, but I felt like she needed the false confidence, and I had to buy some time. After an hour of inching my way uphill through 70cm on top of the previous days 60cm of snow, I decided it was whistle time. I blew and blew and blew, but little did I know I was WAY off course. Then I pulled out my phone to call Hakkoda and tell them I was lost. I hit send and the phone dies before even placing the call. All I knew was that I Was west of the marked course, heading east meant all uphill but I felt there wasn't any other option. after 3.5 hours and darkness settling in I REALLY didn't know if I had gone the right way and I was ill-prepared to make a snow cave or the likes to spend the night. All of a sudden the Hotel came into view as I trudged along, and I never felt such a sense. I almost cried to be honest. I got in the car and left immediately. Be careful out there! Stick to trails you know, and get a guide to familiarize yourself with new terrain if you feel you absolutely must go there on your own!

Curious was this on the direct course maybe 1/3 or the way down? It has a nasty sharp right turn that is very easy to miss. Ran into it last year riding in poor viz when I look around and suddenly realize all the poles are gone.. Hiked about 50m back up to get back on the trail.

No, I'm very familiar with where you are talking about though I took off left of the direct course from the top and was working my way right the entire time before I hit the ravine. I've been all over this mountain but every time there's something new waiting to bite your ass.

No, I'm very familiar with where you are talking about though I took off left of the direct course from the top and was working my way right the entire time before I hit the ravine. I've been all over this mountain but every time there's something new waiting to bite your ass.

For whatever reason I get stuck in that same stupid hole once a year. The fastest out is uphill with a slight leaning to the left. You come up around the back of the chair lifts. If you want to snowboard out you have to do straight up until you hit the trail for kansuisawa.

No I've been back to Hakkoda 5-6 times since then and have a 4 day stint planned there this weekend. Out of those 5-6 times I've had another person with me half the time, and we ventured out far and wide. By myself I stick to within eyesight of the trail in unfamiliar portions and off trail only where I've been 1000 times already. No new adventures when I'm alone!

Funny thing is, I only get in trouble when I'm with somebody else. By myself I'll mellow my way down the mountain all over the place (never the direct nor the forest). When I'm with others I get reckless and start getting hurt. As a matter of fact yesterday I was going a bit more ballsy that I should had and went flying off a cornice in Y-sawa. Long story short, it dropped straight down into a flat hard spot. My buddy say it was every bit a 20 feet drop and it certainly felt that way. I knocked the wind out of my lungs for the first time in ages. I haven't done that since I was a kid... :lol:

Margin of safety is a funny thing. Yes, I go to Hakkoda by myself even on blind days, and I don't bother with the marked courses. Some would think this is unexcusable. Me, I can take a look around and tell you where a good number of the locals that go up the gondola never to be seen on the marked courses will be on that mountain. If I see the guys that pretty much do nothing buy Mokosawa, I'll cruise mokosawa. After six years of 30+ days on that mountain I kinda figured out the best way to get out of just about every bad hole on the slack country side. Push comes to shove, I know I have the stamina to hike up from the bottom all the way to the top. Most of the times you get on a bad spot you are already 2/3rds of the way down; its the stupid decisions (kept on walking in the middle of the ravine where the snow is the softest and with the river underneath you instead of hiking up the ridge) that get you stuck or killed.

does anyone know the emergency number for Niseko ? Just in case...

The Grand Hirafu map gives Ski Patrol's number as 0136 22 2167 (you may need to use +81 136 21 2167 if calling from a foreign phone). http://grand-hirafu.jp/winter/en/mountain/gelande.html

If that doesn't work try one of the standard emergency numbers (110 for police or 119 if for fire & medical).

does anyone know the emergency number for Niseko ? Just in case...

The Grand Hirafu map gives Ski Patrol's number as 0136 22 2167 (you may need to use +81 136 21 2167 if calling from a foreign phone). http://grand-hirafu....in/gelande.html

If that doesn't work try one of the standard emergency numbers (110 for police or 119 if for fire & medical).

thanks very much !

good to know but hope i won't need to ever use them