Gozaimas

Making a template is a good idea. Easy to make different core thickness/profile.

I like the nose shape ... Mine is similar, too. So is the long side cut radius. I reckon it will be a good one.

Mine is under raps. Top secret lol.

You vacum bagging? or have you made a press ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gozaimas

Making a template is a good idea. Easy to make different core thickness/profile.

I like the nose shape ... Mine is similar, too. So is the long side cut radius. I reckon it will be a good one.

Mine is under raps. Top secret lol.

You vacum bagging? or have you made a press ?

I have a core profiling bed that is adjustable , I have 10 core blanks ready for my first batch. You need a template so you can produce multiple boards exactly the same shape, it also makes core shaping easier as you can just run an offset router bit along the template to create the finished core shape.

I am using a press and am probably half way through my first production run. It sure is fun building boards.

Shoot me through some info on your design when you can. Im keen to see it

Have you given it a name yet?

How about "The Member"!? ;)

Nice design - look forward to seeing the finished product! :thumbsup:

As for Tokyo, I'd agree with the suits and the crowds, not to mention crowded trains but as Tubby says, there's so much more to see there than the temples and shrines (go to Nikko, Kyoto or Nara for those) and the palace. I really like some of the older areas, with retro shops and and narrow streets to explore.

where did you get the core's from?

I made them. I laminated a heap of 20mm x 200mm boards together, then ripped them in a band saw which gave me 10 blanks. I then screw my template to the blank and rout along the edge of the template which gives me the core outline shape. Then it goes onto my core profiling bed and through a thicknesser which gives it the finished profile, thin at the ends and thick in the middle.

yeah I've had a look at some vids online that show people making them......I just wondered where they were getting their cores from. It appeared that some of the brands were buying cores ready made and then using them in their board manufacturing. Looks like great fun, wish I had a workshop to tinker with that!!

Yeah the base material is cut with the template sitting on top of it, the steel edges are then glued to the base. The rest of the materials ( glass,core,glass,top sheet) are laminated on top of the base and actually overhang it. Once it has cured you cut along the steel edge with a bandsaw and it trims the entire board to the shape of the base.