Need advice on ski boots, Nordica Grantour 10

Hi

I was hoping someone could give me some advice about ski boots. I usually rent all the gear when I go skiing (5 times in 25 years), but I now have the chance to go skiing more offen. As such I was thinking of buying some ski boots, I take a size 30/31 so sometimes have trouble renting.

My wife has found a pair of Nordica Grantour 10's on the Internet at a reasonable price, however the only websites I can find that have them are not in English.

Does any one know about these, from the pictures it looks like a rear entry system, are these any good?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Ross

They look a bit old style to me. Most modern ski boots are front entry with four buckles and a velcro power strap. I guess it is more difficult to get that size in Japan, but Im sure a friend of mine picked up a pair in that size for around 10,000 from London Sports in Ochanomizu.

I got some Nordica boots about six years ago and still using them,excellent quality. The are front open not back with four buckles. I also need 30/31 boots and got mine from Victoria in ochinomizu in Tokyo they cost me 20000 yen at the time but have served me very well and I ski very hard and fast down steep slopes, I dont thinkxyou will go wrong buying Nordica but not sure the rear openenig type are good go for a front open type!

Whatever boots ...

We, whoever, giving advice on this forum over the year agree on one thing.

Does it fit ? Have you tried them on before ordering it over the internet.

All comes down to the feel you like

Some have wide feet, some have narrow ...

In general, cheaper models tend to pack out soon.

Companies like Nordica, Rossi make lots of models and the lower ones are pretty shitty imo.

I had rear entry ... An old Hanson. Some people loves them some hates them.

I meet some people who are still wearing old Salomon rear entry in Austria/Germany.

Always we have a good yarn about the old days...

Thanks for the advise, the only pair I've been able to try on are some Nordia Sport Machine 80's, they are the only pair in my size in the 8 shops I looked at in Ochanomizu. Apparently all the big sizes sell out almost immediatly. Most shops only carry sizes up to 28.5.

The Sport Machines fitted, they just happen to be twice the price of the Grantours

What about something like this:

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/fst/12rosialias70.html

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e114230216

this:

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e116386272

this:

http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x202477874

this:

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r83929373

Of course, it is best to try boots on, but if you are just going for something cheap (ie soft/comfort boots) then sizing is not going to be quite so critical.

I have a pair of Nordica sport 8 have had them for 3 year's love them but tried 4 different boot's before chooseing them. As Jynnx said many different type's they are one thing I wouid not buy off the net You could spend all your time and $ at a boot fitter trying to get them right not much of a bargain then

Thanks for the advise, the only pair I've been able to try on are some Nordia Sport Machine 80's, they are the only pair in my size in the 8 shops I looked at in Ochanomizu. Apparently all the big sizes sell out almost immediatly. Most shops only carry sizes up to 28.5.

The Sport Machines fitted, they just happen to be twice the price of the Grantours

I remember last year at Goyra one of the shop's in the plaza had a large range of boot's and price seemed ok worth a look if that's where you are heading

Boots are the single most important piece of ski gear (far more important than the skis).

Do NOT buy boots that you haven't tried on just because they're cheap. Aside from the fact that they won't be comfortable, they'll be dangerous.

Honestly, with just five ski outings in 25 years it's highly doubtful you're capable of fitting boots yourself. Go to a reputable shop and ask to be fitted. Whatever the cost, it's cheaper in the long run.

Like the others said DON'T BUY boots from the net they will almost certainly not fit you well. Just echoing what DiGriz said about the boots being the most important part of the ski gear! Absolutely!

Like I said in my previous post check out Victoria in Ochinamizu, they have up to size 31cm's or at least they did when I got mine! They will custom fit them for you for free and even re-adjust them if they are not right for free! They will also select you the right boot depending on your riding style!

Thanks for all the advice, I'm of to Ochinamizu to have another look, will probably buy the Nordica Sport Machines. Assuming the boot fitter there agrees.

I took the risk of buying boots through the net without ever having tried them on because they don't sell them in Japan, well I couldn't find anywhere that did. Luckily they fit pretty well (just). It's a big risk that's for sure.