Just remember that Shiribetsu-dake is reasonably steep and could be deadly in the wrong conditions(it has claimed life in the past). I completely recommend either going on a guided tour or go with someone well versed in back country travel.

I noticed a lot of areas that were solid last year have signs of sliding this year. There is even one in bounds in a roped off area that I boarded last year, that made me think twice I tell you.

How was it Gozaimaas?

It looked busy for the weekend looks like it's snowing pretty hard now though.

Hopefully tommorrow will be good for you and Surfarthur.

Seemore

If you're gonna go BC near rusutsu, shiribetsudake is the go! I did it the other week and i've gotta say, it was insane. Nice and steep (so pay attention to the snow stability and route finding). I always thought the easiest way would be via the west mountain lifts then skin N/NE along the ridgeline, but this would be potentially icy and exposed, and you're not gonna come out where you started which makes the runout on the flats that little bit harder. There's really easy access from the 257 road (runs north/south) on the western side and the hoof up takes no time at all. We climbed and descended the gully on the north side of the west peak. It's a solid 40 degrees on the top part. Unless you go over one of the ridges, that gully will funnel you back the way you came up, so it's fine in low vis and all below the treeline. the runout's flat but as long as you get back in your skin track (boarders), you'll be fine.

How was it Gozaimaas?

It looked busy for the weekend looks like it's snowing pretty hard now though.

Hopefully tommorrow will be good for you and Surfarthur.

Seemore

Snow today was excellent Seemore, thanks :thumbsup:

Looks good Gozaimaas

Thanks for that.

Seemore

yeah thanks for the tip Gozaimaas. i hit this area up the other day based on your advice. you can almost get to that open section straight off the east muju run which is pretty handy. a bit more pitch would make it more worthwhile but nice snow and pretty much untouched

we also went further out and ran the ridge over from it. this was pretty awesome despite the extra hike out. there is a nice steep section down into the valley with minimal trees and nice open lines. it's a short run but quality turns

the next ridge over again looked to be the real goods. quite a steep run in with a completely open face just begging to be carved up! unfortunately i didn't have any takers on a hike of that length to get back so had to let it go this time round. always next time though!

IMO opinion the best powder runs at rusutsu are still the 2 slopes running down from east mountain towards isola and vice versa. best access is straight off the upper most lift points staying as high as possible. this is definitely the most varied and steepest terrain on offer when the powder is deep

Looks good Gozaimaas

Thanks for that.

Seemore

yeah thanks for the tip Gozaimaas. i hit this area up the other day based on your advice. you can almost get to that open section straight off the east muju run which is pretty handy. a bit more pitch would make it more worthwhile but nice snow and pretty much untouched

we also went further out and ran the ridge over from it. this was pretty awesome despite the extra hike out. there is a nice steep section down into the valley with minimal trees and nice open lines. it's a short run but quality turns

the next ridge over again looked to be the real goods. quite a steep run in with a completely open face just begging to be carved up! unfortunately i didn't have any takers on a hike of that length to get back so had to let it go this time round. always next time though!

IMO opinion the best powder runs at rusutsu are still the 2 slopes running down from east mountain towards isola and vice versa. best access is straight off the upper most lift points staying as high as possible. this is definitely the most varied and steepest terrain on offer when the powder is deep

That sure is classic terrain. My avatar pic was taken there.

Looks good Gozaimaas

Thanks for that.

Seemore

That sure is classic terrain. My avatar pic was taken there.

great shot too Gozaimaas. looks like you got there on a pretty solid day!

You obviously have bigger balls than me Gozaimaas.

But we knew that already :lol:

I don't even know which way to go you said left but a local told me to go right.

Mike Pow's photos show some guy cutting left but you would end up in the middle of Hokkaido.

Me thinks a day when I can see would be best.

Seemore

Vision is definitely handy although dropping into that bowl area will bring you out at the top of "furikozawa" no matter what you do so there is no need to worry about getting lost in there. Hopefully you get a chance to hit it as it is truly one of the best spots out there.

Ps how is my husky voiced mate going at oktoberfest?

You obviously have bigger balls than me Gozaimaas.

But we knew that already :lol:

I don't even know which way to go you said left but a local told me to go right.

Mike Pow's photos show some guy cutting left but you would end up in the middle of Hokkaido.

Me thinks a day when I can see would be best.

Seemore

which area are you referring to Seemore?

the bowls/tree runs between east and isola should be fine in any weather you can just work your way further round with each run if you're unsure. if it's been dumping you'd be well advised to hit it up, you won't regret it!

believe it or not that pic was taken 2 days after the last snow, I just hit a different peak to what most people do.

it's amazing how long you can find fresh lines for if you're willing to go a bit further than most. were you there just before the chinese new year period?

Found a nice stash on the right on the way down to Steamboat today just me and the trees and of course knee high.

Just keep giggling to myself everytime i find some new stuff.

Big day tommorrow

6 foot and pumping or 2 foot and dumping.

seemore

Found a nice stash on the right on the way down to Steamboat today just me and the trees and of course knee high.

Just keep giggling to myself everytime i find some new stuff.

Big day tommorrow

6 foot and pumping or 2 foot and dumping.

seemore

It really does take a long time to discover everything there is to offer out there. Just when you think you know the place like the back of your hand you get blown away by a jewel you cruised straight past 50 times before.