• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pffft. I might go and hike naked, that's how gnarly I am.

Yeah, Friday definitely looks the better day but as I'm back at work then it's tomorrow or nothing. So (lifts permitting), let's Gala! :groovy: (I've always wanted to say that!)

Just a quick update:- Gala rocked today!! :) There was poor visibility and a freezing wind but all the lifts kept running and it snowed non-stop all day! The pistes were soft as and hardly anyone was going near the ropes and therefore the foot or so of powder in, under and around them, which meant more fun for me! :thumbsup: I think the forecast is less wind and better visibility tomorrow, which should mean that anyone going there should have a ball. Btw, the top section of the Southern Area was closed. The double lift ("Coach") was running but you could only come back down the run next to it ("Grenoble"), but that was fine as there was loads of untouched powder at the sides, and on the left side in particular about a good 2 feet's worth! :D

What I could see of the phone box, which wasnt much in the morning, was a wee bit poking through.

No camera today as visibility was real bad at times, 5m made at times.

Well went up this morning and love the convenience of the place. Scored some nice short pow runs early on, then some tree runs a little later. Best terrain would be easily be accessible if it wasnt roped off and there was a short 50m lift that whole bowl would be awesome. LOTS of avi warnings all day. Fun place, wouldn't rush back unless I only had a day and was in Tokyo and it had snowed a lot. :)

yeah, I'm not that crazy about Gala myself....it was great when I was there as the snow was unreal and there were no crowds but its pretty small, I reckon I'd get bored easily especially if it was busy. Although if yu get the combined ticket that allows you to ride GALA, Yuzawa Kogen and Ishiuchi, then it's fine

For convenience, it's second to none, but it's more of a beginners to low intermediate place. None of the runs are taxing,nor steep to be advanced. Have had some good days there though.

I can't remember if that was open or not when i went. They had closed off the connecting bit at the top and the cat track half way down was closed due to avi risk they said (the snow was ridiculous all day),

Have you ever been to the South Area?

I would not let beginners go over there?

Tons of untouched ungroomed snow, definitely not beginners territory.

Has never been open when I have been up there.

When did it "open"?

Well it was closed from the 2004 season when the Chuetsu Earthquake caused problems.

It re-opened last season.

Hold on I took pics last season.....

Ooh didn't know that. Shall try and get up there then this season.

Thanks for that Muika. :D

yeah it was "open" when I went but they hadn't cleared the connecting bits.......I'm sure the board telling you what lifts were open said it was opening slightly later.

**EDIT: Reading my comments on your photo thread, i didn't make it over due to the cat track being closed