Round 2 saw a bit better all round conditions. The Snowpack allowed for steeper decents and easy access.

day in/Day 1 Rain poo found out that my tent wasnt great in the rain. stayed dry in bed but my ski jacket and pants didnt hold up. Toque faired a bit better in this weather as did sandy.

The bottle of whiskey was downed and we built a snowwall whenever the rains died.

Day2 bluebird sunshine. temps froze overnight which set up the snowpack really well. Toque was in genki mode and flew up to the saddle. once there a quick break and climb to a steep line. Toque again was kicking are butts up to the 2800meter peak. the line we skied was at least 55 degrees so steep and the corn snow was prefect about as good as it gets. We all pulled rippers down to the bottom, no jump turns acceptfor the jump turn in. skinned back up to the saddle and took a break. next we boot packed it up to the peak of tateyama. Was harder than expected maybe due to the fact that we already climbed one peak. Got to ski a great chute that faces the bus station. sic line and 45 degrees the whole way down. I told Toque Im going to ski it without stopping! He said ok but I dont think that I can do it! Everyone ended uo pulling it off 1500 vertical feet of GS ripping turns non stop. Next we headed back to camp but on the way there we stopped and went through a rock chute and or dropped a big wind lip. was a great day and it was time to dry our gear. Back at camp the wet stuff was put in the sun, the saki and ume wine were cracked and the jokes began. This was one of the best days of my life. Chilling with friends and just stoked one the whole day. Me and Sandy(boy) just ribbed each other all day.

An osen and good food finished the day off. I slept like a baby.

day 3 sunny with a cloud and warm wind. skinned up to grab a line that we called nips (boobs) the line had what looked like 2 boobs on it. due to the weather change rain was coming we hit the line 2 hours earlier than planned. Great timing cause the corn was great. steep and exposed the line was everything it promised to be. back to camp to secure the tents then back up to ski a pretty little 1000 foot face. This face always treats us nice and on this day we play a game of high speed catch me if you can. The face is in full view of camp and we just ripped it. That night the rains came and I drank at the onsen and in my tent with toque.

day 4 home time I just couldnt take more rain. in hindsight the sun came out but the news was saying different. Next year a better tent. Will edit this later when I have time. cheers to toque sandy and Brendon for a chilled 4 days and drive back from the mountains. pics will come soon.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good trip

The weather was the poops and if we had stuck around we would have skied some more sick lines.

I did have a good time with FT and Sandy

I'll get a journal written up pretty soon.

My highlight of GW was a solo trip though from Kamikochi to Shinhotaka with a 1500metre ski descent and almost 20km or walking in ski boots

I just couldnt see myself going through another day of rain. and considering that I had only a half day left in my trip I called it early. now had that sun popped out 1.5hours earlier I would have stuck it out for sure.

Next year we will do kamikouchi and tateyama toque. I want to see that area too. I figure 3 days at tateyama and 4 at kamikouchi. what do you think.

Something like that would work

The Kamikochi area is a little more difficult as the aproach is difficult. I walked almost 15km before hitting skiable snow. Would involve much more planning and a lot more suffering. But the skiing is way sicker.

We were out Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday in the Tateyama area. The weather although bad was not the worst. We still got 2 days of good skiing in.

And then I did a solo trip on Wednesday and Thurday starting in Kamikochi

I does help if your tent doesnt leak. mine leaked and I was being kept alive by garbage bags, air mat and my very water proof bag cover. Thank the lord for those things for sure. il be better prepared for next springs weather, that is for sure.

Is kamikochi steeper toque?

That's cool dude

Who did you go with?

The Karasawa Valley has really steep cool lines. I'll get some pictures up early next week of my trip.

I'm going to pick up a better ice axe and a rock helmet before attempting any of the steeper lines there. I used my crampons for the main ascent and they worked great. Didn't budge at all.

It was crazyscarywierd seeing the aftermath of the rain event though. Avalanche debris everywhere. Probably 20-30 metres deep in places

I really want to ski off of that summit

Maybe I'll look into it for next year. I know you are up for the ski. The climb is a different story.

You should go in and climb it in the summer to find out if you can do it in the spring. Take your wife along.

Toque, just curious did you ski Kita-Hodaka or Oku-Hodaka? Next week we are probably heading up to Kamikochi to bag Yari, and maybe do a few lines around Karasawa if we have enough time. Gonna be a bear hiking +10k in snowboard boots though.

There wasn't enough snow so I skied from the hut in the saddle. Even then I had to hike 50 metres to the snow. I skied the western facing super couloir all the way to the road for 1500 metres vertical ending up in ShinHotaka near the ropeway. A really good 1 way dealy.

I hear you on the grunt of a hike. I did it in ski mountaineering boots. I kept everything light though so my overnight bag with skis attached wasn't more than 10kg I think.

Let me know when you go. If it's not next weekend I might be in that area. Next weekend the Norikura Skyline opens up so I'm going skiing there.

Ill see about that toque, got other plans such as looking sround Noz and such in the works that are more important than baggin a peak. got plenty of time to sort out whether I feel up to that type of climb. would rather be roped up cause you are stronger than me and climb better.

Montoya make that a 2 day trip cause that 10 kms will take alot out of you for no reason.

yeah I was thinking about Yoko, which is around 10k I think. We will probably take it slow, planning to stay overnight at Yarisawa and hit Yari the next morning.