Hey all.

Firstly thanks to everyone on snowjapan. Great resource and much appreciated!!

Heading to hakuba in mid feb this year and looking for some recommendations for accommodation. Only there 3 nights ( fri to sun), group of 5 and have a couple in the group not skiing so thinking close to restaurants, shops might be good. Looking at the cheaper end but prob not backpacker. Most likely skiing Happo.

Also onsen in hakuba, are there public ones like nozawa or only in more upmarket accommodation? Really want to have a chance to onsen at the end of the day.

Will be posting a trip report and pics from last years nozawa trip soon including snow monkeys and fire festival - keep a look out for it.

Cheers

Photoj

I know some of you have been to Hakuba!!

Have narrowed it down to a couple in Echoland and a couple in Happo but still happy for suggestions.

Is it easy to get to Echoland from Happo? A couple in our party aren't skiing so want to make sure there's something close-by for them to do (apart from daytrips). I'd been thinking Echoland is the place to stay but if things are easily accessed from Happo I've got some better accommodation options there.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

photoj

i always stay at tracks/hakuba alps backpackers. I love the dudes there. Its also super duper cheap and im a tight wad :)

Also another nice option might be K's house. Really cozy accommodation on goryu. Also in teh same price range but tends to fill up quick.

As for your second question: echoland is definitely the hub of all things social in hakuba, its also the center of all your connections for the other zones. So obvioulsy its not too difficult to get around. The only time it might be problematic is if its dumping and the buses/trains are delayed/cancelled. But then again, happo1 in a dump is fun for everyone and not just skiers :p

I stayed at 2 places on my trips there last year. The first was the Hakuba Luna. Kerry and Mark were great. The place is nice, priced pretty reasonably as we had 3 people staying in 1 room, good breakfasts, great dinner (try the pizza) and the best part was that i was >150 meters to the lift. I plan on staying again if I go back to Happo One.

The second place I stayed was a complete 180. I will have to get the name from my wife's email. The rooms were small and not very clean, the breakfast was terrible. Dinner was expensive (we booked a package deal via Rakuten) and only had the dinner 1 night of the 4 we stayed. It only had 2 redeeming factors: they sold discount lift tickets for a nice difference off the lift booth price and the room was cheap! I think it was somewhere just south of 4000 yen a night (before the extra breakfast charge).

I usually stay at a place called Pebo. Its a small Japanese family run hotel about 5 minutes walk from Echoland - just opposite the 7-11. Its definitely not the height of luxury or style but Im sure Otsuka-san, the guy who owns it, will be delighted to have some more foreign guests - and he will really go out of his way to look after you ie drop you off and pick you up from the ski area/onsen/station etc and lend you a season pass for the resort if he hasn't lent it to anybody else. Have to say, the guy doesnt speak a word of English, so that could be a problem for you! His son speaks good English and his daughter a bit but Im not sure if they will be around at that time.

Seeing we are doing suggestions I normally stay in Echoland as its an easy stumble home from the bars and restaurants. The guys at the White Horse have a range of accommodation options from upmarket to back packers and they normally sort me out or the good folks at Blue Dragon are great value too. I don't think you can really do wrong. Its going to be a tight year for a LOT of businesses so thanks for coming and supporting who ever you stay with.

Stayed at the Hotel Yamato this year the guy's at White horse set it up it was just what we wanted the older japanese couple were lovely.Just about had the whole place to ourselves.and we met anew mate while there who is skiing with us again in 2012.Close to theWhite horse they are avery helpfull crew there. :thumbsup: