Linking up two computers (network?)

OK I have 2 computers in my room and I'm a bit fed up of using a USB card thing to move big files from one to the other.

Is there a way I can sort of link them preferably without cables in a network so that I can easily share the hard disk drives so to speak and grab files from one to the other easily?

Both using Windows 7.

Is that even possible?

Treat me gently please.

:)

well you can with windows sharing after you setup a basic network (with a network switch or crossover cable (google it) just have a folder that you can dump to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

I hope this helps

if I need to move files at work or onto a unknown computer (or one I do not trust which is all of them) I burn to a CD or DVD then shred them afterwards

Just get a relatively inexpensive network hub, and a couple of "straight thru" network cables. The hub will do the cross over bit, and you will have a "network".

Then ... do a 12 month course in network design, get all the diagnostic gear you need, OR pay someone to set it up for you - probably the best bet, rather than relying on advice from a ski forum. :D

If you have a network in your home, go out an buy an NAS (network attached storage) device and hook it up to your router. That can be used by both PCs as storage.

You might be able to get away with a regular usb hard disk though they don't always work.

Otherwise, go to your control panel, sharing options and set up some public folders that both computers can access.