Hi guys seeing I leave in just over a week I need to come to think about what I'm doing. Any suggestions for places near Nagano i can go spend a few days, maybe 5 as I will base myself in Hakuba. Already planning a few days in Nozawa and was in Shiga last year. Thanks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forgot to add on the way there I'm flying JAL for all but the bris-syd leg as a risk management tool, hoping for a strike on the return leg :)

There are some great places that I know about. No hints, find them yourself. 'Go explore sucker!'   . .

a 5 day window to fill.....have you thought about Myoko (not so far from Noz), there are also some smaller resorts in that area that could be worth a day, Ryoo and Madarao spring to mind. Or how about a trip down to Yuzawa and ride either Kagura, Naeba, Gala or something such as

i dunno if he means he HAS 5 days, i think he means he'll be here in 5 days... at least thats how i read it :)

Five days he could just sit at any one of hakuba, myoko, shiga or nozawa and just ride it out.

Oh, and dude, you HAVE to go to Ryuoo :) make sure its got a base on it though. You dont want to turn up there when they have the big double blacks locked up.

ETA: Turns out i CANT read :) 5 days, eh? You really dont need to step out of the big 4.

ok, if you are just gonna stay in Hakuba and do day trips then Yuzawa will be out. Have you been to all the resorts in the Hakuba valley? Not just Happo, 47 & Goryu? I fancy trying out Tsugaike.

although food for thought, if you have a few spare days, a quick look at the train route and its about 2.5 hrs by train from Hakuba to Yuzawa, 2 changes involved. Are you gonna have a car?

Yuzawa might not be a bad idea then......depends on when and how much snow it has mind you, but Yuzawa is good for a few days for sure. I liked Myoko, not been to Noz yet but is on my radar for this year for sure. I've been to Madarao and while I wouldn't want to stay there, its ok for a day for a change of scenery. If staying in Noz or Myoko then you could do a day there. Ryuoo is in the area as well.

Yuzawa might not be a bad idea then......depends on when and how much snow it has mind you, but Yuzawa is good for a few days for sure. I liked Myoko, not been to Noz yet but is on my radar for this year for sure. I've been to Madarao and while I wouldn't want to stay there, its ok for a day for a change of scenery. If staying in Noz or Myoko then you could do a day there. Ryuoo is in the area as well.

I really really liked nozawa. Theres something about being in among all tehse black trees and looking out across an open plane to (shiga?) all those blue mountains on the horizon. It also has some AWESOME fun terrain (once you get away from that flat bit up near the top). Oh yeah, and then theres the skyline course. Not only is it unbelievably fast and technical (plenty of bumps to catch the unwary), its also got the greatest optical illusion ive seen on a snowfield. When you see it, you will shit bricks!

I never reviewed nozawa because i couldnt do it justice. I was only there for two days and it was raining on both of them. It was still really really good fun though and ill definitely be back this season for at least a few days. In truth ill probably be there a lot mroe than that if i can work it out. Its my favourite right now (if you dont count the middle bit up near the top).

Favourite moment: having my mate i was riding with (and encouraging to step up a gear) seriously ripping on the skyline and having a massive shit eating grin on his face. Just as he was waving to go past me he caught his edge and was picking mountain out of his teeth. Brilliant stuff! Its not often ill use this term these days, but teh boy got PWNED by the skyline. :p

hey shut up you! i know shiga! :p i used to have a crush on a girl from shiga (hikone), shes gorgeous*! in fact kansai girls are gorgeous as well as funny and mischief laden... basically, what the hell am i doing in saitama?

*by gorgeous i mean she had a bit of a horse face, but for some reason im madly attracted to girls with horsey faces. :)

Well, you ain't the only one who is calling it 'Shiga'.

Just sayin'

:wave:

just be grateful the Ozzies aren't calling it "Shigo".........they seem to put an "O" on everything......ambo, smoko, damo, sambo, Niseko ;) :p

Hey Pete,

My first recommendation would be to go to Myoko Kogen (Akakura Kanko and Suginohara are great resorts). After that you could go to Nozawa Onsen, Ryuoo or Madarao (probably in that order but keep in mind that both Ryuoo and Madarao are smallish one day places while Myoko and Nozawa are places you can stay for several days).