Hundreds of British holidaymakers are tonight trapped in the ski resort of Zermatt in Switzerland following a massive avalanche.

A downpour of snow and ice has blocked all road and rail links into the Swiss village which has always been hugely popular with visitors from the UK.

‘The whole town is completely impassable,’ said a spokeswoman for the Zermatt tourism office.

Snow has covered the train track and roads leading to the popular ski resort, while poor weather means that helicopters are also unable to take off, a spokeswoman added

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very very windy yeasterday. Howling. And it snowed in the afternoon and during the night.

My in-laws are out touring. I hope they are OK.

Current Avavlanche danger level 4. This week is going to be dodgy.

I wonder if Mamabear is out there?

I hope she is OK.

MB is indeed over there and appears to be having a great time except for the odd Avi. She is truley a champ and looked after my mate Kristy with a full kit at next to nothing prices. MB if you are reading this, she is linking turns and loving it. Thanks again!

Well, well ..the snow is finally here.

Some places 3m dump (St.Anton) and many places in Austria have access problems. The rail at Innsbruck even stopped for a while, falling trees and power lines .. Road blocked by snow. The snow and the wind stopped a lot of things over the weekend. Wind is calmer but still snowing.

Just need to wait a bit. Very high Avi risk.

Hochfuegen and Zillertal closed.

Some places operating with few lifts

MB is indeed over there and appears to be having a great time except for the odd Avi. She is truley a champ and looked after my mate Kristy with a full kit at next to nothing prices. MB if you are reading this, she is linking turns and loving it. Thanks again!
Glad to hear that Pete! Stoked that Kristy is getting into it...share the joy, I reckon!

Yep, been having a blast. Snow Gods have been kind. In fact, I MAY have been gliding though silken virgin powder on Sunday hands held aloft calling out to PB "It is Sunday and my Lord, I am worshiping at the temple".

Off to watch some Downhill at Wengen this weekend. Brilliant!

It´s going to get windy again towards the weekend, and more snow on the weekend I reckon!

Tomorrow and the next day will be blue bird. Get out there MB. ;)

Pete, Are the Omiyage (presents) you get at Sumo, still good ?

spitzingsee

Check out the slide on the left top
This is slack country with Burton park below.

spitzingsee

Had camera problems so no pics after . :sadface:
Blue bird day got lot of people out on a weekday: I was disappointed with the crowded/ crud/ tracked out bumpy conditions. Fresh tracks where on firm surface and soft below.

It´s south of Munich, close to the Austria/German boarder. Because of the proximity to Munich, accessible by train (train, ski discount tickets) it gets crowded. Today (wed) is the ladies day. Day ticket 15 Euro. :friend:

We had some really good days there. Unfortunately, not all the time.

In some ways, it reminds me of a compact Japanese ski-jo