Shortness of breath and a plentiful supply of phlegm. I can do normal exercise, but I start huffing and puffing early on.

I think it's a real mistake that anti-smoking campaigns go on about cancer and heart disease - things that the majority of smokers actually don't get. They should focus on the low-level but nasty things like the extra colds and weakened health most smokers experience to some extent.

Ocean –

Thanks for that \:\) . It is encouraging to be reminded that stopping smoking can simply be a yes or no decision. I am now one step closer to going through the ropes yet again. Good on you for staying away from them.

I have stopped three times in the past and each time I used an approach like yours... brute mental control over my actions, cold turkey. It worked and I felt pretty happy about it. However I always ended up smoking again after sufficient time had passed to forget the effort required to give up. About six months down the track I found myself drinking more to give me an excuse to have one.

Now I think about it, giving up was never as easy as that:

I have found that when I give up I need to replace it with something really extreme, but beneficial. This way I focus the anger of withdrawal into something useful. Usually I run and exercise. Every time I felt like a cigarette I would do sit ups or push ups until I almost collapsed. This is kind of hard in the office. Other things I would do included restarting my weights program. I would make the muscle that I was working on the source of my desire to have another cigarette. This would make me ‘hate the muscle’, and thus work it even harder (you can always get 2 more reps when you literally despise the muscle and want to cause it pain. The rush after the pain has faded feels great too).

That all seems a tad extreme, I think I would benefit from some balanced composure \:\)

My biggest hassle with smoking is it gets me out of my seat at work. I can’t sit still for longer than 60 minutes and maintain focus, particularly if it is a boring day. So giving up deprives me of a convenient work distraction. I am also a moody bastard with a low frustration tolerance. Giving up and still dealing with my Japanese colleagues in the first week of withdrawal will be interesting.

db, offices are a repressive environment. When I worked at Epson, they played annoying rajio taiso music twice a day, at 10 and 3. All the old farts got up and did it. What I really wanted to be able to do was 50 sit ups and 50 push ups every hour to get the blood moving and feel less like a bag of fat slumped in a chair. As I was already considered eccentric enough, I didn't do it. Instead I made the large 'disabled toilet' my second office.

As tobacco goes, cigarettes are pretty disgusting. Try smoking cigars instead, in moderation.

Yo db you dont need to smoke to get up from your desk. I keep a 1L bottle of water on my desk and usually drink 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. The result is that I have to go to the toilet lots so Im getting up from my desk and go and talk to people on the way.

I have heard that drinking lots of water when you get smoking urges is good, but never having smoked I wouldnt have a clue.

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
. So giving up deprives me of a convenient work distraction.
Are you kidding????? lol.gifIsnt this forum enough of a distraction??? between having a fag and posting here I doubt you do any work thumbup2.gif