they are all the same, just a way to distinguish between your different grandmothers......my dad's mum was Granny and my mum's mum was Gran....didn't use Nana at all

I had:

Nanna: My Mum's Mum

Grandma: My Dad's Mum

Great: My Dad's Mum's Mum

Granddad: My Dad's Dad

and Pop: My Nanna's 2nd husband.

Different for my kids...they all wanted Nanna.

Nanna Sandy was my Mum's Mum - because her puppy was called Sandy.

Nanna is my Mum

And Dhamal Nanna is PBs Mum. Apparently Dhamal is an aboriginal word for the grand parent grand child relationship, and having lived within the aboriginal community for years, she chose that.

PB even has one grandmother that insists on being called Nonna even though she is not Italian - her 2nd husband was lol

When I was a kid my father's parents were Grandma and Pop, my mother's were Nanna and Grandad.

My parents are Nanna and Grandfat (the 8 character limit on old Atari games to blame) and my son's maternal grandys were Nanna Hogan and Grandpa. My daughters (different mothers, in case you're interested) were Gran and Pa.

My dad's mam died before I was born, but my mam's mam was my nana.

At my school, the kids that ate "lunch" and "dinner" tended to have grans and the kids that ate "dinner" and "tea" had nanas on both sides. Maybe that's just a north east thing. I suppose there is a parallel in Japan with people calling their mother "mama" or okaasan/kaachan etc. Many young women don't like being called the latter.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
My dad's mam died before I was born, but my mam's mam was my nana.

At my school, the kids that ate "lunch" and "dinner" tended to have grans and the kids that ate "dinner" and "tea" had nanas on both sides. Maybe that's just a north east thing. I suppose there is a parallel in Japan with people calling their mother "mama" or okaasan/kaachan etc. Many young women don't like being called the latter.

we would say "dinner" and "tea" but were Gran and Granny.....Nan's were something you got from the Indian curry house