Hi Guys,

This my first time on this site but I have been to Niseko a few times. What would everyone recommend for a powder board, a burton fish 160, gentem stick 166cm or 172cm? I am open to suggestions. I trialed a gentem stick 172cm and enjoyed it as it soaked up the bumps and floated pretty well. By the way I am 183cm and 85kgs and ride a burton FL 162cm .

Cheers,

Greg.

I got a Burton Floater 67. The board is made for Niseko's peak and trees, and Yotei!

I used it just once as its too long for down here i reckon..wanna buy it? thinking about selling it! \:D

greg... i've got the exact same board and am the same height and weight as you. do you not find the FL adequate? i have taken mine on 3 trips to Niseko, and have not had a worry, in fact i havnt looked back! i am guessing that you have worn yours out...... thought about the burton BMC?? think that will be my next ride! ;\)

I ride a burton supermodel 68 at niseko. It goes good! I think burton have replaced the supermodel series with something called the cascade series of boards these days though... cant keep up with all the boards there are these days! Just too many. Everyone raves about gentem boards as they are all handmade and come with a price tag to match. The only problem seeming to be that when the powder is not so great they struggle on the groomers. Good luck greg! I think I met you guys at the chalet a few years back in niseko. I was riding with my mate simon up there for a month. Wonder if you remember?

Thanks for you help guys, I guess my FL is getting a bit old(hit too many trees HA!) so I was just after something newer and thought about getting something more job specific!. The FL has been good to me and have totally enjoyed using it. And woywoy I do remember ya (small world). We stayed at Bens place then had to move to Log Jam.Have you eaten any colon chocalate lately? Guess who I saw on the mountain this year? AM! remember her?

I sometimes wonder what is the best "powder board" and frankly speaking it is the gentem or the Burton Fish type of thing.

But really. How often do you have a 100% powder day? Not often I would guess. You need a board that can do other things well, too.

Your other alternative is a "big mountain board".

I used a Supermodel for years, and rode 2 other Burton boards. They are great boards, but they lose their snap over time and become floppy floaty surfboards rather than responsive, quick and edge-biting tools.

Lately, I've enjoyed the top-of-the-line Salomon boards. They are a bit stiffer, but hold an edge and are bomber fast. They float very well in powder but can also do other things, like soak up bumps, cut through trees, carve on groomed and packed snow, and even do jumps and halfpipe if you are so inclined.

It's not usual to try a gentem, Fish or Supermodel/Cascade in these sketchy areas.

Anyway, the reason I am writing all this is to get to this question:

It's not "what is the best powder board", but rather, it's "where can I get 100% powder, every time?"

\:D

We were there for 15 days and it snowed for about 4 days, dumped for about 8 days and about three days of sunshine. I was pretty wrapped after a nervous start!

While we're on the subject of asking people if they've tried this or that powder board, has anybody tried one of those swallow-tailed types? I believe Apocalypse and maybe Nitro make them.

I'm really skeptical about their performance in anything but long deep powder runs of the type that comprises maybe 5% of most people's riding life...

And once someone has forked out all the money for one, I trust their judgement of the goodness of the board maybe a few more percent.

Thanks guys, for your opinions. Your right bad migraine it isn't powder every day but I am curious about your opinions as i have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. It is probably more true to say that I want a new board and not that I need one. I might have a look at some of the boards you have recommended. Cheers.

Hey woywoy looks like we are going for a while next season so I am keen to try some other resorts, probably Rusutsu. Have you tried anywere else?