A few freinds and myself are planning a trip to Zao onsen in mid feb. We are talking about driving up there from Ibaraki but are a bit worried about the road conditions - we drove to Fukushima the other week and it took us quite a while on snow covered roads.

We were thinking of heading up the coastal motorway (joban?) and then cutting inland to Zao. Im guessing the Joban motorway should be clear, but Im not sure after that. If anybody has some experience of driving up there, I was wondering how long we might expect to be driving on snowy roads where we'd have to use the snow chains and how long it would roughly take from the Kanto area?

I had no problems the few times I have been.

The road up to Zao - the one from the main fast roads, route 13 I think it is - is, I would guess, about 10-15 minutes from the base to Zao village in decent conditions. I would guess the main roads are not a problem at all unless you are in the middle of a blizzard.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resort_map.php?resortNo=82

There was snow on the small road going up both times I went (14 on the above map) but there weren't any problems. I can imagine if you don't have 4WD it might give you some grief if you go when there is a queue (weekends?) but I didn't encounter problems.

I went on weekdays so I don't know what it will be like on a busy weekend in snowy conditions.

Thanks - it looks like driving up will be a better option than shinkansen - especially with the weekend ETC discount.

On the subject of ETC discount rate, last time we were delayed on the way home due to snow - it was 11.55pm when we came of the expressway and I was wondering if we were a few minutes later and came off just after midnight (just turned Monday) we'd have lost the ETC discount?

Whenever you bridge over two different 'time discounts' whichever one is cheaper is the one that applies. For example, two summers ago I drove from Numazu to Kochi (its like 900kms I think). We left on Friday at lunch time, stopped twice in parking areas for a few hours and arrived Saturday morning at like 6am. We paid 3000Y total. 1000Y for the min. fee, 1000Y because we used the highway around Osaka and 1000Y for the Seto bridge.

The road just outside the village is often queue on weekend as people enter the village it is sometimes quite congested esp. if icy condition. I highly recommend snow tyre & 4WD.

Just timing really with weather conditions. Depending on when you come you might be able to drive up quickly in less than 15 minutes and drive right through the village without problem.

Have fun. Hope you get good views too and you can share here.

thumbsup

As people have said.

I think you need to be unlucky to get a real problem going up there. As you might expect 8-10am on a Saturday you can expect it to be busy as people try to squeeze into the small village.

Once I had a 1 hour wait about 500m from the village - people stuck on the icy road unable to start and causing blocks. It wasn't fun.