Why do some ski resorts not seem to want to boast about lots of snowfall?

I was just reading the new Yuzawa Now report and it mentions the fact that some skijo just don't seem to reflect 50-60cm of snow as any kind of increase in the official snow depth. I think Shiga Kogen is probably the worst for that, it can snow a meter over a few days and those numbers hardly move at all.

Got to wonder why? Perhaps the Japanese public don't like the image of there being "too much snow" and it puts them off if they hear they have to pile through meters of the stuff. Sounds mad to me, you can never have enough.

friend

Yeah I noticed that in Rusutsu as well.

Niseko was quoting 40+ and Rrusutsu was officially quoting 20 and there was definitely more snow on the ground than 20.

Underestimate and over deliver maybe.

Seemore

Originally Posted By: seemore
Underestimate and over deliver maybe.

Thing is though, snow depth is more important to the people who aren't there yet and thinking of going, more than the people already there. So it's not that I think.

Sometimes when there are reports of really heavy snow, some Japanese are perhaps put off by the conditions and problems they see in getting there etc. There is that thinking, however mistaken!