After two years in Gunma, followed by 9 months back home on the Gold Coast, Australia, I've landed a job just outside of Asahikawa in Hokkaido.

Are there any SJers up in Asahikawa?

What's Furano like?

Hoping to be in Hokkaido by the 20th of March for a 1st of April start, so fingers crossed for a couple of days riding Furano in March.

Any advice?

i hijacking your thread smile I mean er, welcome to hokkaido! its snowy smile

But just out of idle curiosity, where would a sometime vagabond rapscallion find an english teaching gig in hokkaido? Gaijinpot rarely has jobs for here, and most of the dispatches seem to be in tohoku rather than all the way up here. So lets say i had a day for mischief and flyering my cv, anyone know the main dispatches around this end?

I organised my job from here in Australia, through our local government. My town and a town in Hokkaido have a sister city relationship, so through that I am being sent as an AIR (assistant to international relations).

I've done a little research, and it turns out my local skijyou is Kamui Links. Looks good, cheap lift tickets, liberal off piste policy. Looks great!

Andylaurel, I'm about an hour from Asahikawa (assuming the Expressway is open!) I ride at Kamui most weekends, its a great hill. Also will be hitting other spots around Asahikawa - Furano, Asahidake etc.

Hopefully you'll get a good few days on the snow once you arrive.

I'm moving to a tiny place 10 minutes north of Asahikawa city, called Takasu.

My city (Gold Coast, Australia) has a sister city relationship with Takasu, and I have been lucky enough to be selected for the role of AIR (Assistant to International Relations).

It's right by the Asahikawa IC, slightly to the north.

According to google maps, 50 mins from Kamui Ski links.

Thinking about just getting a season ticket and sticking with the one place.

I have been looking at cars on Goo Net and I think I have my heart set on a Mitsubishi Pajero Mini (kei) or a Suzuki Alto Works (Kei).

Just need some carriers and I'm away!