We left Misawa under blizzard conditions early sat morning and drove to Ajigasawa Ski Resort/Prince Hotel over on the north west side of Tohoku. Before leaving, I snow blew just enough of the driveway to get Momos Surf out and came home last night to find my Delica buried, the "cleared" driveway recovered in snow, and the whole street side front of my house/driveway plowed in 3 feet thick and 3 feet high. But I'm getting off the topic...

Ajigasawa was awesome - it was our 4th overnighter there this season, great place to stay -

They had the blizzard conditions on Friday night, and it snowed all day and night sat/sun so most of the runs had deep dry powder instead of the heavy wet snow we've been getting lately. They kept most of the advanced runs closed on Saturday cause there were few people there, probably cause the expressways were closed cause of the blizzard up here.

Early sunday when they opened those closed runs it was incredible "on-piste" runs, then after lunch, we took to the trees and found untouched snow with lots of fresh powder.

Just when I thought all the good snowboarding was over for the season, Mother Nature comes up and reminds me who's boss...

My body is aching bad - I wish today was a day off...not sure how I'm gonna get through my 45 minute run this afternoon...

I almost feel like I should put the boards up for the year - its gonna be hard to top this past weekend...its weekends like this that make me wish the snow season was longer and say "Damn! December is 9 months away!"

I was in Niseko this weekend and realized when I got back to Misawa what I missed.

It took me an hour this morning (at 0430) on my way to gym to dig my car out!!

Ray, which place around here do you like best?

Iggy - I like Ajigasawa the best but the drive is a killer, 3-4 hours one way, so it's not a day trip for us.

I like Okunakayama, and Hachimantai Forrest too - both are about the same driving distance. APPI is good on a week day - too crowded for me on the weekends. Hakkoda is good when the weather is good - about the same as getting to Okunakayama if the roads are in good shape.

This saturday we're going where the sun is shining - if its blue skies, we're headed to Hakkoda. If its overcast, we're headed to Okunakayama.

So far this year, we've been to the following places here in Tohoku:

Ajigasawa - 4 overnighters (one 2 nights), 4 hr drive

Hakkoda - 4 times, 2-3 hr drive

Okunakayama - twice, 2 hr drive

APPI - 3 times, 2 hour drive

Hachimantai Forrest - once, 2 1/2 hour drive

Shizukuishi - once, 2 1/2 hour drive

Geto Kogen - once, 3 hours

Tazawako - once, 3 hours

Amihari - once, next to Shizukuishi

All of those places are good places but the drives can be killer if the road conditions are bad...

Plucky - definetly some good memories from this past weekend. But then I had to blow some snow and shovel a lot sunday night and yesterday. Its all good but dare I say I'm ready for the sun to start shining and get on with jet skiing?

I'm a huge fan of Hachimantai Forest and Hakkoda, so much so that I've only tried Appi (terrible on weekends- and work doesn't allow me to go on weekdays) Shizukuishi, Okunakayama and Shimokura (terrible for boarders and too small)- besides my trip to Niseko.

It only takes us one and a half hours to get to the Forest and Hakkoda from Misawa. We've been to one or the other every weekend and it's rocked!

How's Ajigasawa? How do you get there?

Hi Iggy - we usually go through Aomori City then through Hirosaki to get there. Its on the slopes of Mt Iwaki near the Sea of Japan.

My driving times are conservative - I'm the guy who gets passed all the time on the expressway cause I don't like winter driving - I grew up in Hawaii, and I know more than a few folks up here who have wrecked their cars this winter.

When the roads are dry, I speed with the best but when its cold, wet/icy/unknown cause its dark out - I drive to alive, especially after the JASDF lost 4 guys coming back from APPI last year...plus my tall lift-kit fitted, diesel engined 4WD Delica Van doesn't go very fast anyway...

Only a few more weekends left - maybe we can hook up this weekend?

Iggy - Maybe we can hook up at Hakkoda or on the way eh? Our plan saturday morning is to head that way if the skies are clear, or head south to the forrest possibly if Hakkoda looks like it will be clouded out...

Ray