Hi folks

Been reading around for a while but thought I'd take the plunge.

I have a friend of a friend who lives near to a place called Tokamachi in Niigata. From what I can see, it looks like it is between Yuzawa and Myokou areas of Niigata.

I have the chance to go for a few weeks in February or March and would love to check out some skiing when I was there but wondering which to go to and which would realistically be easier to get to from where I am?

Is the public transport easy from that area, anyone know?

Thanks. Can't want, great to find this place too.

smile

Hi flybeec and welcome wave

Tokamachi is closer to Yuzawa than it is to Myoko. All you need to do is get the Hokuhoku line that goes direct to Yuzawa and I think takes around 40 minutes. It's just over the hill from where I am actually in the valley.

I'm not sure what the transport is like from Tokamachi to Myoko though my guess is you get the line to Joetsu (?) and then transfer to Myoko.

You might also want to consider Nozawa. It's not far at all from Tokamachi and there's a local train line, you'd get it to Togari Iiyama and I guess that wouldn't be much more than 35-40 minutes or so. Haven't done it though!

Madarao is also easy to get to from there.

Have fun!

Hi there flybeec,

I live in Tokamachi.

I find it easier to get to Yuzawa and my friends live there more than over in the Joetsu area so that's where I go more. As muika said, Nozawa is fairly easy to get to as well. If your friends have a car, it's only 40 minutes or so.

Where abouts in Tokamachi will you be? It's a fairly big area now!

A lovely area flybeec.

Matsunoyama is about 20 minutes or so drive from central Tokamachi.

I think there is a Hokuhoku line stop at Matsudai, the small town between Matsunoyama and Tokamachi, so if I am right there you could get a direct train (from Matsudai) to Yuzawa.

• 2 weeks later...