TR Austria from Baishan China

Well its been an adventure and I havent even been on the mountain yet. Snowed in at work = overnight train with crashing in the cafeteria car after a $6.50 bribe. Fitful sleep followed by a day in Beijing. Picking up my board bag from a hotel where it had been since March and with everything still in it. Beijing Airport Hilton was great, especially as work picks up the tab.

Flight across the planet to Innsbruck, made it safe but not with board bag - but its just arrived at the hotel so all good. Saw an Arbor Roundhouse in a shop and its great, just like Laura who is on reception here. BTW Is there a young hostie flying on any non asian airline? Food was great on Austrian though, as was the Pinot Noir.

Flew in a plane with propellers for the 1st time in years. Staying in a cool little village in a great little hotel all thanks to Jynnx. This place is stunning! No boards so thought Id go to the pub. Hoping for a few turns in the morn but apparently it may rain - Hakuba all over again???? smile

Here''s some pics from so far.

various001.jpg

various002.jpg

various007.jpg

various009.jpg

various010.jpg

various011.jpg

various012.jpg

Pete,

That is awesome man. Looks like it is going to be/has been a fun trip so far. We need a picture of you and Jynxx at the bar and some of Austria's finest specimens and numbers for when I make my way to Europe smile

Cheers man

Well with all the excitement, different time zones and a slight hangover I just couldnt sleep in. Been up since about 530am, got my old NS sorted and all my kit. Come downstairs to wait for breakfast and its pissing down with rain :( Will probably see if we can call up and check if its raining on the mountain or snow, but doesnt look good. Of course the old guys in the bar last night are "ya today was guud, tomorrow not so good." LOL Ah well no drama - it a HOLIday so all good.

Wow great day. Slipped into Innsbruck this morning as it was pissing down rain. Looked for one of the boards people have suggested in Ippys legend thread but there were none in stock so purchased this hottie and Im loving it so far. Lib Tech Jamie Lynn model. Yes it was the titties smile

various017.jpg

At 11am head up the mountain with my new board and some new Dragon Goggles that have some hippy nonsense on the strap that I missed in the shop. They are a BITCH to change the lens. In the end four of us had a go but succeeded. Still great goggles that never fogged except after a slam in a couple foot of snow. Needless to say I was smiling hard as the rain hitting the bus windscreen turned to snow the higher we went. BTW the bus is FREE. Epic!

various019.jpg

Couldnt believe how good my luck is some days. Got to the mountain and a young couple sold me their day pass for 10 Euro as they reckoned the Vis was crap, which it generally was but WTF I had a nw board and I was there! Even better as got 2 Euro back at the end of the day when I deposited the card.

Conditions were good and bad, some nice snow but yes the vis did suck but hey its alwasy better then work or riding in Australia. My feet and Burton Ions are slowly becoming friends but Im still not convinced on them. Did a few laps and started getting a feel for the booard and only slammed twice. Was riding like a kook though but hope to improve this week. No real pics due to the vis but is this T bar for giants? LOL

various020.jpg

Had a late lunch and Lucky Pete strikes again with a double serve of schnitzel for nothing then being a complete klutz and knocking my beer over as I sat down. All good as Im not a fan of being pissed and riding - TJ knows why.

various018.jpg

Tried to take a couple scenery pics from the gondy. Did I say Gondy?? Never seen so many on one mountain, must be 5 or 6 plus heaps of high speed quads. Did I mention no lift lines either.

various022.jpg

various021.jpg

Will be an early semi sober night then an early morning to try and get some 1st tracks as it was still snowing when I left tonight!

Just another BIG thanks to Jynxx as without him posting about here I wouldn't have even considered it, plus a lot of behind the scenes help with logistics etc.

Hope you like the Helmet photo too SJF smile

Awesome Pete, good update.

Went up to the resort today. Ridiculously high winds and you couldn't see anything so we took 2 runs and went to the bar. Should be really nice in the trees tomorrow, the snow is coming down.

Wow what a great day! Will let the pics speak for themselves even if there are only a few. When riding alone seems a little odd to take photos of randoms.

Also a couple learnings - learnt the old way....

a) When ducking ropes whilst cruising duck low enough, so your back pack also clears!

B) It wont be bottomless in Mid Nov. New board has a couple scars and my beer drinking arm is rather sore after finding the hard earth hiding under the powder.

c) Just go for it, its only snow smile Had a great day and am getting better, just hope for more pow. New board works well across all conditions but can also see a dedicated pow board in my bag as soon as I jettison the other two.

d) When in the pow above a cat track understand that the drop down to it is likely to be hidden, vertical, a lot higher then you imagined and you land on a hard flat surface when you least expect it, on your ass - in front of other people.

e) When having had more then enough fun based on your ability and fitness and you are totally spent don't leave the longest run to last - you will eat it.

f) If you have the chance to do something out of the ordinary just do it!

various024.jpg

various030.jpg

various029.jpg

various028.jpg

Yeah some of those tracks are mine - what a great day. Then off to the pub for a German beer and some Italian food smile

various032.jpg

Left about a 1/3 of that pizza at the bar, but that was still too much and feelling fat now. Its a pity that the pic you are referring to doesn't have the top of the run in it. Couldn't see the camera screen. Jynxx was heading up as I was heading down. Will see him shortly for his take on it. A tad worried as cant straighten my arm out after smacking my elbow... Pretty sure I'll be gold though.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Forgot to mention - $220 Aussie for 5 days of lift tickets over the next 7! What a bargain - why would anyone spend $ in Aus besides a mid year slide?

Rest that arm up, sounds like a good deal may have to take it in the future.

Yeah Gosser it is smile Yummy. Trying to get fitter not fatter this trip mate hence the Peter Allen effort on the pizza.

Elbow is pretty sore this morning and struggling to pick up the coffee pot. Will ride today then take Fr-Sun off as snow again Sunday night. Heading to Munich to play tourist and catch up with a mate.

Jynxx and his lovely partner Andy dropped by last night. Great folks and cool to finally meet. Got the good oil on a couple runs I'll check today. Thanks!

Update - went up the mountain (Thanks TB for the little kick in the ass lol) and was still getting some freshies although was harder to find and a bit crusty. Visibility went to nothing, wind was strong so bailed for a divine veal chnitzel and beer. Got to the bottom and the liftie told the top was closed so timed it perfectly.

BTW I thought the south american girls were hot with the dark hair and dark eyes but that dark hair and blue eyes here is amazing.

Yesterday was a good day!

How good was your timing, being there!

Was nice getting little pops and landing on soft stuff.

I hope your arm feels better. Don´t forget to get some Voltarin from the Apotheke (chemist)!

Thanks mate. Snow again tonight smile 1/2 day then off to Munich. Ended up in the Physio this arvo quite by mistake as had the girl at the hotel book me a massage but she thought I wanted my arm looked at, elbow is now taped up like some tribal tattoo. LOL.

Thanks smile

Had some great light snow Thurs night and Fri morning and had a blast bombing down some of the main runs which had about 10cm pow on top, until the plows fixed that, so got a few runs in out of the way before heading to Munich for the weekend.

Easiest way to buy train tickets is over the internet. Just print it out and carry it with you. You just jump straight on the train which was great.

Here's a top tip:

After drinking litres of beer dont confuse the front door of your mate's apartment in Munich with the bathroom door and lock youself out of the house in the middle of the night when all you got up to do was go to the toilet.

Will be a very quiet night tonight.

Did I mention it was beautiful in Nuestift?

various154.jpg

various153.jpg

various147.jpg

various143.jpg

various141.jpg

various138.jpg

Then saw some things in Munich that were nice. Apparently IPad owners no longer need real books.

various137.jpg

Sorry I cant seem to edit pics in photobucket since a recent change...

various111.jpg

various108.jpg

various106.jpg

various102.jpg

various099-1.jpg

various098.jpg

various094.jpg