Forward Lean and Stance Angle Snowboard Bindings

I am all over everything else Snowboard after Ippy's epic thread BUT....

FORWARD LEAN: Never really paid much attention to it myself usually leave it right out but have gone crazy and pushed it up a notch.

Anyway I want to set up my new bindings on my new board, so need to pay more attention. Just curious on what people like...

More on back than front?

Just match your boots?

Whatever is comfortable? or

Set it up and get comfortable with it?

What else....?

STANCE ANGLE: I have historically had about 10-15 front and neutral - 5 (pos: toe fwd) rear but have always felt I wanted to go with more positive on the rear mainly because it feel better on my rear knee.

Just a free rider, rarely switch for longer than 5-10 seconds and only hit the park for jumps usually.

BOARD = Jones Flagship 168W.

BINDINGS = GNU Street Fastec

I ride flat as far as forward lean goes. I spent a long time just experimenting and trying various stances out and i reckon its all tweeked in to how i like it. And how i like it is no forward lean, bindings centered, and +15, -12.

Forward lean is nice though, it really makes you feel like youre a little more flexible and better for reacting, but man, its exhausting!

One thing i never did though, and i only really learned about at the end of the season was rotating my highbacks. Looking forward to checking this out and seeing if it helps me get a bit more stability. I Hope also saying that phrase may have you irritated that ive just thrown ONE MORE DAMN THING! into the equation smile

Rotate your highbacks kids! biggrin

Forward lean for me really depends on what I'm planning on doing. Heading into the park I usually don't have any forward lean. Flying down the hill I usually have both feet leaning forward at the same degree. The bindings I have make it really easy to adjust in a hurry. Another reason I really like forward lean for free riding is that it forces you into a better boarding posture. You've got to bend your knees more and lower you center of gravity a bit.

Stance angle is similar. Park I usually go for more of a duck stance. Free ride I have my back foot closer to zero but still open a little. I never ride with my back foot forward because it makes me second guess jumps and stuff.

Will have to see if I can rotate my high backs, not sure if the base model Streets allow much there.

One of the reasons I started thinking on it a bit more was because of forced knee bend. I tend to bend less at the knees and more at the waist when the terrain gets a bit steeper. Not good. I need to concentrate on my style the older I get, and the older I get the more I bend at the waist WTF. Not sure what is going on there... Not as far to fall ??? smile

Do a lot of stretching excersise mate.

Maybe if you are bending from the waist and not from the knees, I suggest WIDENING your stance. That's right. Stand with your feet wide apart. Do some Horse Stance excersise. Any beginner martial arts how-to will give you the idea. (or, mounting a horse)

I'm duck stance. +18/-15

Who cares what you do, freeride/freestyle, stand what you feel is good.

Originally Posted By: Tex
Will have to see if I can rotate my high backs, not sure if the base model Streets allow much there.

One of the reasons I started thinking on it a bit more was because of forced knee bend. I tend to bend less at the knees and more at the waist when the terrain gets a bit steeper. Not good. I need to concentrate on my style the older I get, and the older I get the more I bend at the waist WTF. Not sure what is going on there... Not as far to fall ??? smile

I usually run the highback lean at the lowest default position, but sometimes at the end of the day I'll take them up a notch or two if I notice I'm tending to gouge the toeside edge into the softer snow as my legs get tired. Not quite sure about all the dynamics involved, but bending at the knees as opposed to the waist does tend to keep your center of mass more centered over the board.

Insofar as stance angle is concerned, I used to run +15/0 since I was rarely riding switch and riding primarily off-piste, but I noticed that there is less strain on the rear knee when weighting the back leg in deep snow if the rear foot has negative angle, so I'm at +15/-12 now.

Like other posters have mentioned, rotating the highbacks parallel to your heel edge does wonders. Do it if your bindings allow this!
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Forward lean for me really depends on what I'm planning on doing. Heading into the park I usually don't have any forward lean. Flying down the hill I usually have both feet leaning forward at the same degree. The bindings I have make it really easy to adjust in a hurry. Another reason I really like forward lean for free riding is that it forces you into a better boarding posture. You've got to bend your knees more and lower you center of gravity a bit.

Stance angle is similar. Park I usually go for more of a duck stance. Free ride I have my back foot closer to zero but still open a little. I never ride with my back foot forward because it makes me second guess jumps and stuff.

I'm with BM on this.