Fattwins did you see what I posted in this thread?

http://www.skijapanguide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003808

I spent 5 days there a while back, Princess Diana died while I was up there so thats when it was.

I loved the place, the solitude, the atmosphere, the lack of people, 20-30 on the whole mountain while I was there. Hanging out in the lodge talking and drinking.

NZ mountain safety run some hardcore Avalanche courses there, right up to learning to use explosives etc.

The terrain is awesome wind lips, cornices, bowls, shutes, cliff drops, extreme faces everything but trees (alpine environ).

Ropes tows take a while to get used to but are twice as fast as T bars, you seriously need leather glove protectors as you would wreck your gloves in 3 seconds flat.

I really enjoyed the place, would go back for a ski week in a heartbeat.

Oceans - a club field, is owned by a ski club but anyone is welcome, very cheap and generally only rope tows, no lifts or grooming, but real skiing/boarding -very few posers.

woywoy, sorry I have never spent a full season down there myself, only had friends do it, but they all rated Wanaka over Queenstown. So I dont know anyone down there now.

If living in a small town with reduced nightlife and atmosphere is your scene, then try Methven and Mt Hutt. Hutt doesnt have the best terrain overall but always has the best snow, longest season and has a decent pipe, no park.

My folks live nearby and might be able to help with contacts, My mum worked in the ticket office a while back. no promises though

Cheers kamo. But I think I will end up in the wanaka area. I had some mates who went to hutt and enjoyed it but I think wanaka seems like a better option in terms of terrain and variety. Just have to hope the season is a decent one! Id love to visit a few of those club fields though. That is where ski fields should be at.

Ocean, does "wanaka" mean something funny in Japanese? Or are you just dissing the word "wanaka" because is sounds kinda funny?