At the weekend I bought a cable that connects my carnavi to my ipod. When it's connected, I can control the ipod from the carnavi screen - just like on the ipod, playlists, artises, albums etc etc.

Brilliant it is.

Sound quality if pretty good too.

No more changing of CDs and CDs out of their cases strewn all over the car - got my 12000 songs on hand now!

groovy

Can't believe I didn't do this earlier.

Someone should have told me you can do this. grandpa

Must be a recent navi if you can do it through the dock. Sound quality through the dock is a zillion times better than through the headphone jack. Colour me jealous!

Cheap and nasty way is through an FM transmitter and the car's aerial. You can do it for about 2000 yen.

Tried but gave up because I didn't know where the power cable was.

So I took it to the local friendly garage.

Was given a cup of coffee, made a few phone calls and within 30 minutes was done.

They did it for 1050 yen.

dance

OK spent some time with it this morning.

Really glad I got this, the whole thing can be controlled via the display. In fact, it's better than the HDD music system on the carnavi itself.

With a bit of playing around with the carnavi equalizer, even some of my older mp3s sound decent. Newere ones that I brought in at 256 (?) sound very good. Not quite CD quality perhaps but certainly close enough for in the car.

thumbsup

Sounds like a steal for 6000 total. Getting the dash off and back on in some cars is a real nightmare.

My car came second hand with an almost new Carrozerria but its a raku navi, the cheap one. You can't connect an Ipod to it.

Yeah, I was questioning it at first but now knowing how good it is, I would happily have paid the full price for it. Going to re-import some of my older cds now to get the best sound out of them.

BTW, I see some raku navis are ok:

http://pioneer.jp/carrozzeria/products/cd_ib10_2/model.html

That list isn't complete though because my navi is the AVIC-VH099G and it's not on that main list but is compatible.

smile

Thanks r45 but my navi is still too old. The only input it has is for a video or a reversing camera (which we've got).

The car has a stereo separate to the navi, and after lots of googling, it looks like there are some gizmos I can use to connect that instead. Maybe only 2000 yen s/h off Yahoo Auctions.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a similar box thing for my car stereo and have hooked it up. Thanks for the inspiration r45!

The box thing makes the Ipod emulate a CD changer so the car stereo controls can be used. My car stereo controls are crap for controlling an Ipod though, so I just use the Ipod. My box gizmo forces a regular Ipod Touch to display a "Device Connected" screen that blocks the IPod controls, but you can defeat it very easily if your Ipod is jailbroken, which ours is.

The sound is great! The only problem is that the Ipod doesn't charge because the dock is the older shape from I dunno, 2008 or before maybe. The power pins are in a different place.

Excellent.

My gizmo doesn't allow me to nagivage using my ipod - I need to do it via the screen. Fairly decent so no problems there. Great to have all the music on hand though I find it difficult to decide what to listen too doh

On a jailbroken ipod touch, you just download a tiny program called "noacessorysplash" via cydia (the app you get after jailbreaking) to defeat the "accessory connected" screen.

http://cybernetnews.com/remove-accessory-connected-message-from-iphone/

If you haven't updated to 4.1, jailbreaking is as simple as going to a url called "jailbreakme.com". The 4.0 OS has Microsoft-sized security hole that lets you hack an iphone/touch by simply loading a website. Its something to do with pdf files.

It doesn't bother me.

Knowing me, "jailbreaking" my machine will only cause me more hassle and I'll mess something up.

How exactly do I benefit by jailbreaking it anyway?

Well, as I said, you can get rid of that "accessory connected" screen and use the Ipod screen in your car if that makes it better. My car stereo was designed for a CD changer, so it can only scroll through albums very slowly, something like one per second. Its very cumbersome compared to using the Ipod screen. The cybernetnews link mentions other people having the same experience.