Hi, i was wondering does anyone know about secondhand shops around resorts? has anyone ever bought stuff from such shops? is it really cheap? i mean with the amount of new snowboards being sold one would ask where do all the used ones end up? also has anyone ever tried to sell secondhand gear in japan is it easy or difficult even at cheap prices

My old one and bindings went to a local school in Hakuba and hopefully to a student who will get a year or two fun out of it. I've seen second hand boards in some shops selling new gear. Most guys just sell of their stuff privately in my experience.

What exactly do you want to know?

Originally Posted By: rider69
With the value of the american peso why not just order from the states

thats actually a good point eh? How much extra in general do places charge for shipping? Many brands won't allow international shipping from their retailers so how much extra is it for the 3rd party shipping service thingy?
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: rider69
With the value of the american peso why not just order from the states

thats actually a good point eh? How much extra in general do places charge for shipping? Many brands won't allow international shipping from their retailers so how much extra is it for the 3rd party shipping service thingy?

Been doing a fair amount of this recently.

I used a forwarding/consolidation company called VIAddress. There are other...BongoUS etc.

It has worked out well for me. You will make big big savings for light smaller items...like clothes, boots, bindings etc. But oversize items (such as boards) can encounter highier shipping costs..but still marginally cheaper than buying locally (in Oz).

They claim they have better rates due to bulk shipping arrangements with UPS FEDEX etc, but most of the savings come about when they consolidate items for you.

Most US online sellers have free shipping, so you avoid paying local shipping ontop of international shipping.

Only issue I have found is they take a whilst to turn the shipping around, so leave plenty of time.

As an examples...in USD

New boots (K2 Darko 09/10) = $150
Shipping to Oz with other items = $100

New boards (165 & 151) = $800
Shipping to Oz = $500 (due to size of 165 board)

Last thing to watch out for is how they use the highier of the actual weight and volumetric weight to calculate shipping cost...google it.