Hi there

I'm new to Japan so not sure on lots of things yet.

On maps, Minakami and Yuzawa look really close - next to each other with a mountain range between them. That right?

Which has the more choice of places?

Anyway lots of reading to do in the coming months!

wave

Hi there, and welcome,

Yes Minakami and Yuzawa are close to each other basically opposite sides of the mountain.

Yuzawa which is Niigata side gets more snow than Minakami which is in Gunma, although Minakami does get a lot.

Yuzawa is just one of many resorts in that area, there are also several resorts close to minakami as well.

Both are good and both offer various terains.

As for the number of places of course Niigata has far more resorts as a whole. Naeba, Kagura are also not far from Yuzawa, basically higher up the mountain.

Maybe others living in the areas can help you more. Also try looking around this site, which offers lots of information.

Yuzawa has more choice.

There are a fair few places around Minakami and Katashina that are well worth a visit though even if they are a bit more spread out.

I would recommend Kawaba, White World Oze Iwakura, Tenjindaira, Marunuma Kogen. Hope to get back to all 4 of those next season actually.

I must confess that I had been going past Minakami and never thought of exporing that area. Often in the old days waiting for hours there to get a connecting train to Yuzawa.

I´d like to check it out when I have oppotunities in the future.