I'm looking for a tip on somewhere to chill out, enjoy ourselves and let muscles recover between resorts for a couple of days. In Honshu, it's easy - there's lots of cool places to check out, but in Hokkaido it seems harder. Any favourite non-skiing spots anyone wants to propose?

1. Relax, preferably in reasonable style

2. Take in somewhere interesting that we wouldn't get at home.

In Honshu that meant towns like Kyoto, Nikko, Takayama, Nagano, a nice hotel or ryokan, walking around checking out temples, castles and the like, eating good meals, onsens, stuff like that. Nothing similar is jumping out in Hokkaido.

Slippery is the Asahiyama Zoo open in Winter - February to be exact??? Being the only girl in an ALL BOY ski trip I have been planning some things to do on the side while they are trying to out do themselves off piste!!! lol

Why on earth would anyone really want to travel overseas to see a few animals locked up in cages? Certainly not something I'd be interested in.

Anyway grazza what resort will you be going to? Hokkaido is a big place so where best to recommend, if you've only got a day or two, depends on the resort you're at.

Starting at Niseko, but looking for somewhere to spend the weekend as we go between there and Tomamu where we plan to spend the following week. Can't say a zoo does it for me. It would want to be a pretty bloody special zoo.

Maybe one suggestion is to check in to the new place early. Just chill, read a book, get a massage, give the body a rest, eat too much, have a little too much to drink one of the nights, sleep in with the Mrs etc. I was of the view I should try and use every day in a new place to see things, now I value nothing days. Maybe thats beacuse I work 35 days straight these days smile

Originally Posted By: Go Native
How are you getting between the resorts? If private car there's a number of places you could stay on the drive over for a break between skiing.

Interested. What are you thinking about?

My first choice would be to stay at Lake Shikotsu. It is stunning in the winter and has a very cool ice festival. There's some really nice hotels as well. If you can hire or have some snowshoes there's also a beautiful smaller lake up behind Eniwa-dake, which rises above the edge of Shikotsuko that freezes over and makes for a good little scenic day trip.

Info on winter activities

Originally Posted By: grazza
1. Relax, preferably in reasonable style
2. Take in somewhere interesting that we wouldn't get at home.

In Honshu that meant towns like Kyoto, Nikko, Takayama, Nagano, a nice hotel or ryokan, walking around checking out temples, castles and the like, eating good meals, onsens, stuff like that. Nothing similar is jumping out in Hokkaido.

If you're looking for a Nikko/Kyoto type of experience, the only similar thing would be Hakodate and Matsumae down to the Southwest, but that would be really out of the way if you're heading from the Niseko area to Tomamu. Since Hokkaido wasn't heavily settled until the turn of the last century, there isn't much old, historical stuff - mostly winderness, farmland, and new cities. Hakodate and Otaru were major ports during the early pioneer days of Hokkaido, so there are still some historical remmnants. Matsumae dates back to the samurai days, but it is really just a fishing village with a castle. You can easily spend a couple days exploring Hakodate, but you can pretty much do Otaru or Matsumae in one (Matsumae would be better in a non-snow season, actually). Both Hakodate and Otaru have onsen (hot springs) to soak the weary bodies in, so that may be a consideration too.