More often than not, I end in a stalemate. But the satisfaction of now and then taking a king makes the game worth playing. Any body else like to play chess?

Chess is an awesome game - simple to play, yet difficult to master.

prefer playing against human opponents as computers, well, I feel like they are cheating.

I like watching how the "power lines" moves. I call it that because it looks like "power space" created by network of pieces moving in a cohesive structure. It's like an amoeba attaching an opponent. I personally don't care about mating a king. I used to take pics of interesting situations and playing them again with the same opponent.

Haven't played for a long time.

I'm sure maui-waui pacalolo will enhance the pleasure wink

I like chess. I like playing but sometimes it takes too long and I have to go somewhere and leave the game. And when I return to it sometime after, the board always seem to be missing some of my pieces.

Sounds like you've got some dubious opponents or a cat. I've played a two week game with a college buddy. Stalemate!

Pakalolo enhances all pleasures!

Say a program once along time ago.

These 2 old gents were playing each other - by post. They'd send the letter for their move and wait for a reply for the other's move. It must've went on for years.

Well, checkmate came eventually as one of them croaks it from old age or boredom.

Originally Posted By: big-will
I used to love it but haven't played for years and years. I must get back into that.

I see your queen...

...shaking it's ass.

I didn't see the chess relationship either. But I will admit that that song is in my i-tunes.

I agree that person to person chess is sooooo much better than playing a computer. The computer computes your next move and doesn't have a human feel for your intuition. Chess is calculative but it's also playing against your oponent. Computer chess eliminates that aspect.

wel, the computer can determine the possible moves and the probability of such moves and strategise the following moves on the permutations.

What it cannot do is foresee the human erro in making a move that is just a plain mistake of not seeing a piece trap.

What I like is having the priveledge of looking across the table and reading the face of the opponent. You can tell a lot about the next move by reading a person's personality...agressive, timid, etc. And then acting on it. Kind of like poker or black jack.

there was a short story I read as a kid about a chess set that did bad stuff. The loser of the game would die and the winner got all his stuff.

Can't remember the name of it. Damn. Written by an English actor at the time. In the 70's or 80's.