Why do moguls appear on certain slopes and....

...and not on other, seemingly similar, slopes?

Ocean was mentioning that Happo is one big mogul center right now, and I noticed that Happo seems to get a lot of moguls - but other places that have similar looking slopes don't get them as much.

Can anyone explain why that might be happening?

It can often depend on the grooming practices of the resorts. Groomed slopes take a lot longer to get moguls formed where if a slope is left alone moguls will tend to form fairly quickly. When it's slushy, however, moguls can pop up anywhere. All depends on how hard the snow is packed.

I've noticed at a lot of areas up north here, a line of Japanese will form a mogul path on purpose for practice. It's funny to watch 10-15 people skiing behind each other to create the bumps. Reminds me of 80's Warren Miller films.

Fattwins, you keep saying that snowboards make moguls, but they don't. They may chop up the snow into bumps, but not with the same regularity as ski moguls or with anything like the troughs in between. I know this from having been down a run of ungroomed snow repeatedly with a crew of boarders and having given up when the snow was all pushed to the sides of the slope, or flattened, not formed into moguls.

Hills that get a lot of skiers get a lot of moguls, and Happo has more skiers than boarders. I've seen advertising materials from Happo that feature their moguls as an attraction, so I assume they wouldn't do anything to discourage their formation.

Moguls will form on steep slopes that require skiers to make tighter turns to control their speed. On less flat slopes they take a more looping line that doesn't dig the troughs so moguls don't form.

Snowboards make moguls too. Unless you are sideslipping the slope then it is a law of science. Happo has moguls cause it doesnt or cant groom some of the steep stuff. If you get resorts to groom it they will always do it and there will be no fresh tracks there to be had. Skiers dont have to make tight turns but some people will. Coming down at the end of the day at happo is a boarders worse nightmare.

> Unless you are sideslipping the slope then it is a law of science

That's the point - that's what most snowboarders do on the steeps. It's very rare to find a snowboarder who carves precisely on a steep slope.

I suspect that the stress laid on 'form' in skiing and the greater tendency of (Japanese?) skiers to ski in formation contributes to moguls too.

Boarders just tend to go all over the place so their tracks aren't concentrated.

(None of which need necessarily be taken as criticism of skiing...)

None taken.

I know of lots of areas in Canada where boarders mostly ride. I will admit that they dont make TRUE moguls, more like turning ruts in tight places. If you put only snowboarders at happo on usagi course for the day, it would not be flat but it would not be a TRUE mogul course either.

I personal like well spaces bumps. Bumps you can hop one to the other or GS down. Whitewater has some nice well spaced ones in Canada. I know many snowboarders there who love em..