Hello banner

A bit of help please!

We are planning a weeks skiing trip to Japan for mid Jan 2011. I spoke to a travel agent who suggested Myoko Kogen, because:

Accessibility, ie won't cost the earth to get to and doesn't take long from travel hubs

Not a tourist trap

English speaking ski instructors (for 8 year old)

Cultural experience

Anyway, does this tick all the boxes?

Our ideal place would be quiet, cultural, inexpensive, accommodation on or close to the slopes and awesome skiing for beginners and intermediates.

Cheers

Hi there

I live in Iiyama which is fairly close to Myoko.

It sort of does Andy, though got to wonder what

'not a tourist trap'

and

'cultural experience' mean... to you anyway.

And quite a few places tick those boxes as well.

Myoko is a good place though.

Check some other threads on here, especially spooks who spent a month there.

Just be careful that it ticks boxes for you, and not just for your travel agent!

Originally Posted By: Andy75

Our ideal place would be quiet, cultural, inexpensive, accommodation on or close to the slopes and awesome skiing for beginners and intermediates.

Myoko is certainly quiet, inexpensive with very nearby accommodation (there are some ski-in/out options). As for cultural... I think that there is a pretty good onsen scene happening there... but that is pretty much it. What are you after for culture?

A place like Nozawa Onsen certain offers a lot more in the cultural experience department if that is something that you rank highly. But a week there might get a little redundant because you'd be skiing the same areas everyday. If skiing is the most important thing than I think that Myoko is the better option as there are quite a few slopes in close proximity so you definitely won't get bored if you are there for a week.

Thanks for the Reply,

Hope this clarifies it for you

Tourist Trap:

Where everybody is trying to rip you off because there's nowhere else to get it from.

Cultural Experience:

Not like Benidorm (some of Spain's costa's)

We have never been to Japan, (so please excuse my ignorance) but I'm assuming some villages have been destroyed trying to accommodate tourists?

But if you had your own transport, Myoko isn't a kick in the arse away from Noz, you could stay at Noz enjoy the cultural aspect and the good riding for a few days then do a couple of trips over to Myoko for a few days

Quote:
Tourist Trap:

Where everybody is trying to rip you off because there's nowhere else to get it from.

I can't really think of any places that I have been to that would fall into that category.

Not sure if I know of anywhere like Benidorm either. lol

Really, pretty much anywhere will be ok with re: those comments.

Went to the snow Expo in Brisbane yesterday and spoke to Virgin Airways, who tell me they are going to open a route from Brissy to Japan.

This will starting in December, I assume for the ski season only. They aren't advertising it yet but it should be announced soon.

If you want to package yourself, the Myoko Kogen tourist office is a good place to start (it has a website). They have one very dedicated person who looks after overseas visitors.

The JR East 4 day rail pass will get you there & back with another 2 days still remaining available for use (maybe Tokyo).

There are two ski areas close to town, but you will need to take shuttle buses to the other areas.

• SnowJapan Admin

The Myoko people are indeed very helpful. There's a link to them on our main page of the site

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/index.php

http://www.myoko.tv

30 people this last season went (or at least had a ticket to go) to Myoko through the Myoko giveaways we ran, coutesy of Myoko.

There's also a list of Places to Stay in Myoko who welcome and are part of our site:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/myoko-niigata-accommodation.html

Please do mention us if you contact them and good luck.

There will be Myoko content on this site in time for next season.

Unlike Niseko, there's not much English spoken in Myoko Kogen - as it's your first trip, you will find it quiet a cultural experience (not many aussies yet).

By JR East rail pass: Narita>Tokyo (N'ex), Tokyo>Nagano (shinkansen), Nagano>Myoko Kogen (JR Shin'etsu line). Check the train timetables at Hyperdia.com/en . Hotels will pickup from MK rail station as the resorts are not close to the rail. The tourist office is near the station, if needed.