'Texting eclipses talking'

Well talking into a phone anyway.

Anyone else find this sligtly bewildering?

Quote:
Texting has become the most popular form of communication among young people in the US, research indicates.

The study, by the Pew Internet and American Life Project, suggests that texting has eclipsed mobile phone calls among teenagers for the first time.

More than 30% of teens send more than 100 texts a day, it shows.

Researchers say more payment plans offering unlimited texts have helped to create the surge in the US, which used to lag other parts of the world.

Originally Posted By: Curt
Well talking into a phone anyway.

Anyone else find this sligtly bewildering?

Quote:
Texting has become the most popular form of communication among young people in the US, research indicates.

The study, by the Pew Internet and American Life Project, suggests that texting has eclipsed mobile phone calls among teenagers for the first time.

More than 30% of teens send more than 100 texts a day, it shows.

Researchers say more payment plans offering unlimited texts have helped to create the surge in the US, which used to lag other parts of the world.

Not really. I hate talking on the phone and rarely do it.....but I send a lot of texts! My texts are free, so that is a major plus point, and it means that I can be doing something without having to be distracted by talking on the phone.

Texting Rules!! wink

I'm the opposite. I hate texting. Why take time sending a text message for something I can say much quicker? And if the person your sending to has some questions it's much quicker to answer by talking than going back and forth with text messages. I'm the same with emailing. Hate going back and forth. Much easier to call.

I reckon plenty of Japanese teenagers would totally eclipse the 100 texts a day figure. Some appear to spend near every waking moment texting something into their phones...

I don't like being distracted from the things I am doing for too long. I can pretty much send a text without looking at the keypad, so I can keep watching that movie, or reading that book or whatever....but when I get a call I have to invariably concentrate more on the phonecall than on what I'm doing. I had one of my ALT's phone me the other day, which is fine I guess as I do tell them to call if they think I can help with anything, but she just wanted a chat and thats something I hate. I don't do that with my best friends!! If there isn't a point to phoning me then don't. smile

If I'm doing something that I don't want to be distracted from I just don't answer the phone. I've never felt any great need to answer a phone just because it's ringing biggrin

In the office, I set the mobile to "silent" with vibrate. I get the message but don't answer if I'm in a meeting or talking on the landline.

The landline is a different matter - that is the reason I'm there, to answer questions on that phone, so I answer it as soon as it rings (and always check for messages on the answerphone when I return to my desk).

I prefer texts to voicemail because retreiving a voicemail message costs ME money! Texts are easier to view when convenient, you don't have to have a pen to write the message, it's already there for you, and free!

Since I do a lot of driving for work, I prefer to have sms left than voicemail. No handsfree, so no answer while driving.

Thank goodness I don't carry a phone, I don't wear a watch either.

Only time I really need it is when I go snowboarding and can use it for emergency calls, or as an alarm clock to wake me up.

I am a big SMS user.

I prefer to send SMS than call and leave a message, and I prefere an SMS sent to me than a phone call.

If I am going to have a chat with you - I would prefer it to be at the coffee shop face to face, and while I am happy to talk on my mobile I find SMS easier.

If you are in the middle of something else you can get it when you are done, rather than picking up the ringing phone, telling the person you are with 'excuse me', and saying "umm can I call you back in 5?". Nah - just SMS! easier!

I also like it because if someone is sending you and address, a time, a number, or other info that you want to refer back to you have it right there.

It also gives you time to think.

An invite - let me check my diary - SMS reply "love to" or "so sorry have to be in Sydney that weekend"...

Personally I think it is efficient. And it allows me to add extra into my already multi-tasked life.

I surmise something like:

'hey watcha up 2'

'chillin'

'where'

'home dude, u?'

'me 2'

'sad'

'yeah'

'wanna see movie'

'which one'

'dunno'

'spose'

'txt (insert girl name here) ask her to come'

'k'

'nah man she busy'

'sux'

'yeah'

'bored'

'me 2'

'fml'

'fmlx2'

'wish it was hols'

'true'

'k bye'

'seeya loser'

'lol'

There is more than 10 each. slap

order it on the flaming internet Thursday!

doh

I use two separate internet ordered Pizza's - the gourmet which the kids hate, we love and is healthy; and the crap cheese laden gunk that the kids love.

Both save our previous order, our favourites, and allow us to click 're-order', saving time and effort, or order something different for a change, or simply alter the previous order. They are paid for by CC over the net, so the delivery guy and you are not fumbling for change at the gate in the dark.

Works for me!

MUCH easier than dealing with the ethnic accents over the phone when trying to place your order.

ok... so it is a bit of an oxymoron - but it is fancy pizza.

Handmade pizza stone oven fired, with rather delicious toppings.

And instead of $14.99 for a single pizza you are not likely to walk away with any change from $30.

but what sucks is the kids don't like it.

They have Hawaiian - but because they use fresh pineapple and real thick hand cut pieces of ham with good mozzarella and a home made tomato sauce they turn their noses up. They would rather the tosh that the pimply teenager at Dominoes knocks together.

C'mon Mantas! At lest you feel loved!

lol

I have had way more phone calls than text messages today.

I have missed every single one of them (running to get to the dang phone which is ALWAYS in the other room no matter how many times I go fetch it).

Every time I had to check the voice mail message and then call the person back. Appointment time changes, requests to do stuff for people - all would have been more flaming efficient if they text me or emailed me.

Just coz SOME people don't respond to text or email doesn't mean I wont!!

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Today I got 15 bloody text messages, 7 voice messages and 11 missed call messages.

How the hell am I supposed to get any work done? veryangry

Do what I do. Less internet.

I'm sure people assume I'm sitting in an office environment just like them with a pen poised ready to take down all details.

They would never assume that an air con guy might actually be working on an air con systerm, half wedged inside an air con unit, covered in grease/oil/slime/dirt with a noise like a frieght train going on in the back ground.

I need a holiday sadface