• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fooking huge implications. There are normally 1200 flights for Heathrow and 700 for Gatwich daily. Think of all those poor souls trying to get home across the atlantic for the weekend, or those just wanting to get out of England. Nah, bugger them. lol

Not very convenient from south of Spain though, is it? wink

Images are incredible. Wonder how long the chaos will last.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Well I'm sort of hoping this eruption really turns into a big one. Just think of how much snow we'll get next winter! biggrin

Not that you are lacking in that department!!
Think of how much snow WE will get! Now it will make a difference to us!
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Not following.......

Large volcanic eruptions release a lot of ash and more imporantly sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere which reduces the albedo of the planet meaning more incident radiation from the sun is reflected back into space. So the earth can cool for a few years after a big eruption leading to significant changes in weather in the short term.

Here's a link to some of the events in the past which have had significant impact in human history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_winter
Originally Posted By: thursday
but it would be, as the plumes progress and magnify in so doing, cool down the earth in consternation of the popular Global Warming camp.

It may reduce the warming a little for a couple of years if it really blows its top. Globally we just recorded the warmest March on record so anything to help cool things down a bit is good in my book! Regardless of whether or not you believe mankind is affecting climate change no one can doubt that the earth is warming...not good for us lovers of snow.

Warmest March on record 2010

LOL

My cousin's hubby is a male trolley dolley - and is stuck in Lanzarote. Wouldn't be so bad, but she has 2 young kids to deal with on her own. I bet he is having a nice little enforce holiday though!

Has to be.

Tourism income in both EU area's and also the EU tourism dollar outside the no fly zone.

Airline industry will really be under stress. I see Qantas is flying people back to Aus from Sing and HK (which are getting a bit crowded now) and rebooking them on flights at no extra cost next week. WOW! Big cash hit.

Also heard one fellow who had to cancel his surgery, internal flights and accommodation as his surgeon is stranded. Has been rebooked for Wednesday, but probably have to rebook again. So that effects the Doctor, the hospital, the accommodation provider, domestic air, and the patient!

Any more...

it is indeed and I'd guess even more.

Pharmaceuticals waiting to be delivered, perishables waiting around the world. Aircraft retasked. Complete panic I can imagine, especially for the exporters. And stock running low in the UK.

Damn, when will the next shipment of caviar come???