Spring is here and it's time to make some turns in the corn snow! I'm looking for other backcountry enthusiasts who want to plan some trips this spring.

I've got all gear, a car, and a fair bit of experience.

Rule #1 is never go backcountry alone, so won't you join me, please! \:D

Peace Up!

Marc the BackcountryBoy cool.gif

hey...

where in chiba are you??

would you be interested in taking somebody with very little/no experience??

do you have extra gear??

just curious...

danz

The trip to Tateyama is a hassle and expensive but can be well worth it.

Ocean 11, for someone who has on a few occasions described various aspects of snow safety/avalanche awareness as boring I was surprised by your apparent enthusiasm. Nonetheless it's good to see. Should this be taken to mean you're going to invest in some safety equipment to go with your eagerness.

john_g, if I didn't clarify what I mean by 'boring', I'll try to do so now.

When you go to a resort, I think you should be able to have fun in deep snow without having to be hassled by concern about it coming down in heaps. That means that I think the resort should manage things so that you don't accidentally go where that's likely to happen, either by posting clear warnings, or by managing the snow itself. As implied by the very name 'resort', I think the emphasis should be on carefree fun.

However, if you go to the BC, nobody's going to look after you but yourself. You're not paying anybody any money to control the environment for you. In that case, the environment itself becomes a lot more 'interesting'. Whether it's inherently interesting to me, or merely a matter of interest due to its relevance to my (or our) safety remains to be seen. I'd like to find out.

In short, whether it's boring or not is a matter of context. Anyway, where safety is important, I always take it very seriously, and I'm actually quite risk averse.

As for buying equipment, it depends what's required. In the same way that I did when I started snowboarding, I'd like to borrow or hire the gear at first if I can until I know that I'm hooked. Then I'd be happy to buy.

I hope that's reasonably clear.