Well, not exactly... but we surprised ourselves by finding a really good little area that was steep, deep and full of nicely spaced trees. I was lucky enough to have won a ticket from SnowJapan and it was a wonderful day to be on the mountain with about 20~30 cms of fresh snow and temps staying low all day which meant the snow condition was top quality till the last run.

The slopes were pretty empty first thing in the morning

Black%20Mountain_49.JPG

Everything was covered in snow

Black%20Mountain_50.JPG

Started to get a little cloudier later in the afternoon

Black%20Mountain_51.JPG

Low cloud cover

Black%20Mountain_53.JPG

G getting in deep

Black%20Mountain_54.JPG

And disappearing

Black%20Mountain_52.JPG

Snowball! Zero viz!

Black%20Mountain_56.JPG

I was finally able to get out from behind the camera for a sweet line! Here is the sequence. (Thanks G!)

Black%20Mountain_68.jpg

Black%20Mountain_69.jpg

Black%20Mountain_70.jpg

Black%20Mountain_71.jpg

Black%20Mountain_72.jpg

So I have to say that boarding a Madarao was a mixed bag of frustration and sweet riding. If you aren't a total beginner I don't see too much point in going to this place. The lifts got going painfully slow in the morning... possibly because of the snow... but what was really happening was they were letting the staff up on the lifts to get the on piste freshies. I sat and watched three ski patrol go up and down the lifts 4 or 5 times before they let their customers get in on the action. Now some might argue that they were checking the course but more than once they just came flying down the center of the piste next to their own lines. We were stuck midway down the hill watching all this beautiful snow getting eaten up... I was spewing!

The lifts are also slow and all seem to go to the same place... it's a small hill and yet you find yourself having to take two, three or four lifts to get up to the top. There is one course that is worth while for more advanced riders... which they had closed in preparation for some kind of competition the following day. This area didn't even have any lift access so after cruising down you need to traverse the whole bottom of the mountain to get back to the lifts.

If it hadn't snowed the night before I would have totally hated this place. Thankfully fresh snow was in abundance! Great for families though as there are tons of distractions like tubing and snowmobiling.

Actually... if you were there midweek after a snow storm I think you'd find loads of fun stuff (once they finally get the lifts running smile )