I've been skiing powder all my life, but recently have been taking myself deeper, steeper and further back country. I also am setting my bindings looser these days to protect my knees. So skiers out there: do you use flouro ribbons on your skis to find them in the powder? Never done that before, but seems like a good idea.

What do you use?

lol Now that would be something worth taking a photo of!!

No Thursday - the dufus who lost it had undone the boots for the lift ride up because his feet hurt - it was a skylab-style falling projectile from the lifts that then decided to tackle the run without a driver.

I would have LOVED to have seen the lifties face when this be-socked fellow tried to HOP OFF the lift.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
lol
No Thursday - the dufus who lost it had undone the boots for the lift ride up because his feet hurt - it was a skylab-style falling projectile from the lifts that then decided to tackle the run without a driver.

I would have LOVED to have seen the lifties face when this be-socked fellow tried to HOP OFF the lift.

lol that would have really been a WTF situation!!

Oh man that's funny!!

Ah ski boots . . . if there's one thing, one thing at all that I'm jealous of boarders for, it's the boots. But unbuckling boots on the lift is a dumb idea. Actually if your feet hurt so bad you need to unbuckle them then you are doing something wrong, imho.

May have been hire boots that weren't well fitted?

I have weird shaped feet (do NOT go further with that!) and cannot get hire boots to conform to that shape. Part of the reason I would NEVER lend my boots, they are too much a part of my body shape.

Are you kidding? I'll never wear other peoples footwear. I don't buy second hand shoes, either.

never heard of flouro ribbons. I just hope that when the snow melts I will find it. ( well, I didn't)

I wouldn't set my bindings looser cos what happens if it comes off and you stack!? You can do damage that way, too.

I see this issue as a PLUS for snowboarding.

Would take an awful lot to rip a board from the bindings, or the bindings off your feet. And in a stack being attached to the snowboard kind of acts like a splint keeping everything stable (assuming you have BOTH feet strapped in wink )

[However I suppose it could act as an anchor and drag you under in an avalanche situation}

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I see this issue as a PLUS for snowboarding.

Would take an awful lot to rip a board from the bindings, or the bindings off your feet. And in a stack being attached to the snowboard kind of acts like a splint keeping everything stable (assuming you have BOTH feet strapped in wink )

[However I suppose it could act as an anchor and drag you under in an avalanche situation}

not always an avalanche situation, sometimes being strapped to the board when you stack it and end up in deep powder the wrong way round, its very difficult to right yourself....but skiing is just for big girls blouses!! wink
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

not always an avalanche situation, sometimes being strapped to the board when you stack it and end up in deep powder the wrong way round, its very difficult to right yourself....but skiing is just for big girls blouses!! wink

lol
True.

I had a nice unstrapped hike out for that very reason this trip Tubby - always a moment of panic when you are the wrong way up in powder! Maybe I could have used a long ribbon on the hike out to drag the stupid board out behind me. Fortunately the 2 times I dropped it it did not go far - but not running was the reason I got stuck in the first place.
Originally Posted By: thursday
once saw a ski whizz by me about 2 feet away. Just thought WTF wakaranai

Re runaway ski
My mate Snozz & I were skiing the Dave Murray Downhill in Whistler in 07 pretending to be 2010 Olympians when the screws holding the binding to one ski (Recon hire ski's) just pulled straight out. Needless to say he stacked big time and the ski sans brake asembly took off down the hill towards Creekside. After I scraped him up of the snow I went looking for the ski & amazingly found it a couple of hundred metres downhill where a kind soul managed to stop it after it took him out.

After going for a skidoo to rescue the Snozz we took his hire ski back and told the techy he could have died. His response - "Umm, ooh nasty, Tell you what, I'll rent you a replacement ski, how about that"

WTF