Too old to adopt, so why does Sue, 59, qualify for IVF?

Interesting article here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/7016183/Too-old-to-adopt-so-why-does-Sue-59-qualify-for-IVF.html

Quote:
So, we're all set for the first woman to give birth at 60 courtesy of a British clinic. The London Women's Clinic, which may now be bombarded by would-be parents in their sixties and seventies, has indicated that it would be all in favour of treating Sue Tollefsen, now 59, to enable her to have a baby. The child would be a brother or sister for Freya, conceived following fertility treatment in Moscow when Sue was a mere 57.

"I agree there should be a cut-off point," chirrups Miss Tollefsen. "Perhaps 65 is too old, but I'm still so healthy I don't see why I shouldn't be treated." This may, of course, irritate those women of 65 who feel sufficiently feisty to get pregnant by themselves.

Before even reading Miss Tollefsen's account, I laid a small bet with myself that she had a much younger boyfriend. And so it proved. Nick Mayer, her partner, who would be the biological father of the child, is 11 years her junior. No harm in that. But it's remarkable, all the same, how many of the women who surface in the papers for having fertility treatment late in life have boyfriends miles younger. Let's guess the motivation here: you're "giving" the man in question the child that a youthful woman might have been able to, thereby making the relationship seem that bit younger all round as you play at being mummies and daddies.

I totally agree with that comment someone made "If people can't afford the treatment then they can't afford the child".

Simply can't imagine that I would want to go through this at the age of 60. It just doesn't seem 'right', for want of a better word.

I am all for freedom of choice, but at 40 years old I can not imagine being pregnant, giving birth or meeting the round the clock needs of a newborn - but I have done it all before 4 times (10, 12, 16 and almost 18 years ago). So maybe I am just over it!

I look at some of these 50 yr old Mummy's in the store battling the toddler temper tantrums - then I look at the month I have just had riding the slopes with my young men ... and I know damn sure which end of the fertility spectrum I would recommend anyone have their children.

The other issue is that kids need their parents for well more than the 18 years (or whatever the age of majority is in your own country) they are a child. Too many kids lose a parent prematurely anyway. If she has a baby at 60 then she will be 80 or close to it before the kid is independent. And same goes for fathers! Fair lot of elderly fathers amongst my kids mates parents... they just don't have the same connection we have with ours.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I am all for freedom of choice, but at 40 years old I can not imagine being pregnant, giving birth or meeting the round the clock needs of a newborn - but I have done it all before 4 times (10, 12, 16 and almost 18 years ago). So maybe I am just over it!

I look at some of these 50 yr old Mummy's in the store battling the toddler temper tantrums - then I look at the month I have just had riding the slopes with my young men ... and I know damn sure which end of the fertility spectrum I would recommend anyone have their children.

The other issue is that kids need their parents for well more than the 18 years (or whatever the age of majority is in your own country) they are a child. Too many kids lose a parent prematurely anyway. If she has a baby at 60 then she will be 80 or close to it before the kid is independent. And same goes for fathers! Fair lot of elderly fathers amongst my kids mates parents... they just don't have the same connection we have with ours.

Well, if any woman wants a child that badly, I would not begrudge them. They would certainly put up with anything just to have their little darlings.

A baby really changes a woman.

Hey well said MB......But did you notice the theme you gave us, all even numbers,chance or planning ?????.anyway great reply,

And not sure if we have been cut off, but i know you said have some stickers, we live in Freo can you give us some please.