• SnowJapan Admin

We have just made a few adjustments to the Forums that allows you to easily share a thread on the Forums here with lots of the social networking sites out there.

If you look at the left hand side column of each post, you will see a small graphic that looks like this:

sm-share-en.gif

If you click on that graphic, it gives you options to "share" the thread you are looking at on a whole range of popular social networking sites. [You will need to be logged in to those sites in order to "share"].

We have made the graphic as small and unobtrusive as possible, so if you don't use any of those sites then please just ignore it.

If however you do use any of the sites and would like to share a thread with a wider audience at any time, please feel free to spread the word.

We will see how it works and any feedback over the next days and weeks before deciding whether to keep this as a permenant feature.

Thank you for your support.

• SnowJapan Admin

Without being on your computer, it's hard to give any feedback on that Mitch.... sadface

We have been testing and seemed to be working.

Anyone else tried and any feedback?

Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

Sorry, not sure I understand the question.

You can just submit a thread from these Forums to one of those services - that's about the scope of it.

friend

• SnowJapan Admin

The "link policy" is unchanged, I would have said so if it had changed.

You are very welcome to share things if you want to - you can post stories, upload photos and videos to SJ.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I am new here but not new the internet. Perhaps I didn't read the rules as closely as I should have but can you clarify that the "link policy" means that you cannot link other sites directly to these forums? If so, is it not disingenuous to be encouraging this "share" function for other sites?

• SnowJapan Admin

OK I am going to entertain you with a response, 'freeskeeze'. This is as much a response to that kind of post as to your post in particular.

I'm not sure what you think is quite so devious of us to provide the means for our friends to share threads on these Forums with their friends. But let me make a few points.

We actually added that "share" functionality thing after having a fair few people in the past suggest it to us. Things that we change and add are often the result of listening to what people seem to want.

You don't have to use it. We're not putting any kind of pressure on you to use it. You can use it if you want. You can ignore it if you want.

But because we have that, does it mean that we should allow anyone and everyone to post their links on here? Of course it doesn't. It's interesting and wholly predictable - the links policy might be a slight annoyance to some people from time to time (sorry!), but the only people who seem to get really worked up about it are the ones who basically want to post a link on here and get people to go elsewhere for their own gain. An explanation of the Links policy can be found in the News section of the Forums so I'm not going to get into that here.

I just want to go over what we ask of people using these Forums. What do we ask, other than to not use them for promotions and to keep things generally civil? The answer is not much at all. We put a huge amount of effort into our site and these Forums and in return we ask very little of the people that use it.

Do we bombard members with banner ads? Do we have google ads on the top/bottom/sides? Do we have popups 'popping up' all over the place? Do we charge for anything? Do we try to push or sell something in your face? No, we don't. We could very easily make a chunk of money out of these Forums, but we decide not to.

But still, and after all the things that they can do on here at no cost, for whatever reason there are some people who seem to think that we are the ones owing them something. Do we appreciate people taking part and contributing to making them what they are? - of course we do.

-----

I'll tell you what I personally find to be extremely disingenuous and very insincere:

People registering on our Forums and coming on here simply with the motivation to basically 'cause a fuss' - either by taunting other members or some company or us or any combination of those.

It makes it even more disingenious when said user used to be known under a different handle name, but was previously (one of the still very very few people) banned from these forums for.... causing a fuss.

Go figure.

I'm pretty sure that what we do is the absolute opposite of disingenuous and frankly I find it offensive to be accused of such.

So, look, the bottom line is this. If you find the whole concept of what we are and we do to be so against your principles, please don't post.

Move on.

Let it go.

Go away.

We won't mind.

In fact, we would very much prefer it.

Why do a handful of people who seemingly have never-ending bones to pick with us actually stick around on here?

What's the point of that?

Is that not disingenuous?

Do they not have better and more productive things to do with their time?

Is it not disingenuous for someone to be here to simply help promote their own agenda in often what can often only be described as really sneaky ways?

Why not leave these Forums for people who enjoy it and appreciate the community and all that goes on here?

I think there are still some of those left! wink

Just for the record... while undoubtedly frustrating, such provocations don't wear us down. Quite the opposite actually, they often spur us on. Consider me spurred!

In many ways I would love to write more and reveal more juicy details, but we don't operate that way. We do our best to run our operation with integrity and won't be taking a lower road.

To those people who do enjoy the Forums and aren't here for their own selfish reasons - thank you for your support and I'm sorry to have you read all that lot!

Thank you.

freeskeeze, you are being very humble, you're actually very new to the internet.

Reciprocation works if there is quality to return for quality. Alas, there is very little out there to reciprocate SnowJapan, hence no links please. And perhaps share only for those who know what quality is.

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks for the comments, both here and offline.

Forgive me for closing this thread. It's extremely rare we close a thread (a couple in the last year?) but I can't see that this one would go anywhere other than in a direction that would take up a lot of my or my colleagues time. And with a big update coming soon, we have a lot of other things to consume that time.

Please share if you want, and don't share if you don't want.

Thank you for the support.

friend