Hey just got a tip off from the manager of the hostel I'm staying that I should stock up on Yen at the airport because cash is a hard commodity to find in Niseko ? If there's any truth to this, why is this so ? Will I be able to use my Aussie Visa card most places?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Credit card accepted @ SeicoMart for groceries - some bars/restaurants - for lift tix etc. We use credit where we can....but cash is definitely king, and a hell of a lot easier.

Friends tried to change over Aussie Dollars for Yen in Kutchan - Lordy be what a long drawn out nightmare of an experience that turned out to be.

My advice: order your Yen through your bank a week before you leave and pick it up before you depart Oz. Take your credit card and some debit cards with various symbols (I don't think the Cirrus cards work in the Niseko ATM) and enjoy.

Beware that some money changers including the airports were experiencing a run on Yen (people all going skiing!) and were running out. My Mum tried to get the equivalent of $50AUD for each kid (4) to stick in their new wallets for Christmas and had to wait a WEEK for the money changer to get some more Yen in!!! veryshocked

I love this site, thanks again ! Probably should of ordered money from the bank by now as I'm leaving Tuesday week, but oh well I'll go suss it out tomorrow. Hey mamabear, just so I don't grave dig the old lift tickets thread, I forgot to ask, how much was the pass you bought for grand hirafu, and for how long ?

4 week season pass for Grand Hirafu 42,000 Yen (for the Adults)

Senior High Schooler Full Season Pass (16-18yrs) for Grand Hirafu 40,000 Yen (perfect for our eldest who is not 18 until March, who will be coming back with mates in Feb for 2.5 weeks as well as the 3 weeks we have had)

We HAVE had to buy day passes or points tickets when we have visited Annupuri or Higashiyama, but we are still in front.

Compared to the prices we pay in Aus - that is like 3 weeks for the price of ONE!

Hey, brynski,

Check out Amex foreign exchange (fx4you.com, I think) they deliver to PO around Australia within a week. You can also buy yen at the major Post Offices, but I don't know their rates or timeframes.

Just use any seven 11 convenience stores ATM 7 bank and you should be able to withdraw money from your foreign card.

They seem to accept virtually any card, as they are linked to SHINSEI bank which is a foreign bank here in Japan.

My mother used her visa cash travel card in seven 11 with no problems!

No 7-11 in Niseko. The ATM in the Hokkaido Tracks office in Hirafu is exactly the same as the ones in the 7-11's. It accepts Visa but not Mastercard (as with all 7-11 ATM's).

brynski you'll find in Hirafu many businesses accept credit cards but this is not normal in Japan. They are only gradually working out that it is very convenient to use cards in this country, like with everything else here change comes very, very slowly.

I see, Didn't know they don't accept Master card at the 7 seven banks, has that always been the case or they changed it?

Sure right about change coming very slowly here, too slow I feel for some things!

Originally Posted By: snowdude
I see, Didn't know they don't accept Master card at the 7 seven banks, has that always been the case or they changed it?

Don't you read the threads here, snowdude? Sandy and GN have told almost everyone individually.

Thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to let you guys know my findings about the atms and credit card usage. And JA, I checked out the company you suggested, however I'm not going to be at my home address long enough to receive it via mail. Are their rates pretty good ? I ended up going with Travelex, as I can just order it online and pick it up at Coolangatta international the day I leave.

I have found that the rates are better at Amex, and they have a lower charge rate as well, so you get more yen for your buck (to coin a phrase!) That plus they will deliver to ANY post office, just tell them which one by postcode, I get a heap of options when I input my postcode - they even deliver to "unofficial" POs.

So, I guess that means that you COULD order from home, pick up in Gold Coast/Coolangatta at the PO. Nec]ver tried that. The PO will hold the package for a set length of time and then return it to Amex, so you'd need to be sure you were gonna be there in that window.

We generally travel the day before flight, stay o'nite somewhere handy to the airport. If we could also collect yen that day, might be a good idea.

FWIW, the current rates are:-

Amex 80.15 - fee is AUD8 so that AUD1018.61 buys you JPY81000.00

Trav-ex 80.08 - so that AUD1011.49 buys you JPY81000.00

(as of 12.01pm Aus Eastern Summer Time 13 Jan)

Travelex collection has to be from a Travelex agency. None of them around here, one at the airport, but I am not sure how long they'll hold it for. We bought through the local Credit Union, who use/quote T'ex rates, but they (the CU) added a 1.5% fee, so that killed the argument as far as I was concerned.

rates are only one part of the matter, the others are convenience of collection and fees. I'll stick with Amex, methinks.

Ok thanks for the breakdown JA. In the future I will probably go with Amex, as Travelex also charges a credit card fee (not sure about Amex?) just to save myself a couple of bucks, but with travelex you can pick it up from the airport within two days time so I went with them just because of my time constraints. Hey, it sure as hell beats the exchange rate a year ago either way!

Not wrong there, brynski, not wrong at all! That (the 50yen rate) was the reason we aren't sliding there this year. Still paying for the last year trip. The rate plummeted between the time we booked and the time we went. So effectively, all our purchases in Japan cost us nearly double what we'd budgeted for.

Thanks JA - I went online this morning and everything had dived a little so I will wait a few more days in the hope of it going back up. Travelex with also deliver to the nearest Harvey World Travel. Think I will end up sticking with them. I don't get a charge if I BPay and the nearest Harvey World Travel is 5 mins away.

Whatever works for you, as I said, convenience is a big part of what choice I make.

I've noticed that Amex change their rate before Travelex, so if it's going up, they will be best, if it's on the dive, t'ex will be better.

Swings and roundabouts! And, of course, if you buy at T'ex airport, they guarantee to buy back at the rate you got in the first place.