Hi .. can I ask a huge favour from one of you who is locally based in Hokkaido ...

I'm trying to get 2pairs of skis/pole/boots + 2pairs kids ski/boots from Niseko to Sahoro.

BlackCat couriers have quoted about AUD$30 X 4=$120 to get these items from Niseko to Sahoro for Feb 4th, and pickup again on Feb 11th, for the return leg.

Can they be persuaded that the charge should be $30 for the entire lot, which fits nicely into one large ski bag (especially since the kids skis are 80&100cm without poles with smallest size ski boots too). Instead they want 4 separate bags.

If you can help, I will be totally over the moon - eg, a contact name & tel number so that I can follow up with BlackCat courier directly, or if you can recommend another courier that does the Niseko-Sahoro route reasonably frequently.

Many thanks in advance..

I think you should consider using a different company. 120$ seems like a lot of money. I send bags from Shizuoka to Niseko (+800kms) for 20$ a bag. I also put 3 snowboards into one bag and its never been a problem. The company is called Sagawa. Google sagawa takkyubin and you should be able to find an English website. There will be a local number listed that you can all.

Thanks BlackMountain ... yes... the 200odd km from Niseko to Sahoro seem a little high when compared to the distance travelled by your 3 boards in one bag charge! ... I suspect I also have a bit of a communication challenge with the courier.

By the way, I'm curious how you'll factor any delays that might be quite out of the control of the courier service (heavy snow storm?). For example, if I want to make sure the bag is there on a certain day, is it safe enough to request the pickup and delivery to the destination just one day prior?

Not to correct Blackmountain but its Sagawa Takuhaibin. Other options are Yamato (Takyubin), Fukuyama Tsuu-un and Nittsu Pelicanbin. I recommend Fukuyama. They have bar none the best service. Yamato is the most expensive of the group....still way cheaper than your quote of $120...yikes,,you almost got raped. If you need any help with the arrangements let me know ASAP as I'm on a boat to Hokkaido on the 23rd and incognito until about the 26th. Oh and BTW, if you set a date and time for delivery..it WILL be there..one day prior though is cutting it close.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris, for the offer to help. I'll look up the websites for the other companies you mention.

I'm having my doubts now about this arrangement .. I should elaborate...

A ski rental company is offering a good family package, but for obvious reason, they will only want to put aside my equipment with two days buffer on either side of my week's rental as the transit times. They appear not to have done this much, probably why they struggled with the courier quote.

Maybe I shouldn't risk my ski holiday by relying on equipment to be sent over to me. After all, mother nature and snow can be unpredictable.

p.s.Some would ask, why not rent where I'm skiing?

The smallish resort in Sahoro means little competitive pressure on prices ... in excess of A$60 a day for a pair of skis/boots/poles.

BTW Chris - boat to Haokkaido?? Sounds interesting.

Originally Posted By: Alx
Thanks Chris, for the offer to help. I'll look up the websites for the other companies you mention.

I'm having my doubts now about this arrangement .. I should elaborate...
A ski rental company is offering a good family package, but for obvious reason, they will only want to put aside my equipment with two days buffer on either side of my week's rental as the transit times. They appear not to have done this much, probably why they struggled with the courier quote.

Maybe I shouldn't risk my ski holiday by relying on equipment to be sent over to me. After all, mother nature and snow can be unpredictable.

p.s.Some would ask, why not rent where I'm skiing?
The smallish resort in Sahoro means little competitive pressure on prices ... in excess of A$60 a day for a pair of skis/boots/poles.

BTW Chris - boat to Haokkaido?? Sounds interesting.

Yes, it will be a little more expensive renting in Sahoro but by the time you jump through all these hoops how much are you really going to be saving? I'm assuming that's $60 AUS which is 4800yen. My wife rented just skis and poles (has boots) in Hakuba last year and the best price (and she's a bargain hunter) she could find was 3200 yen. I'm just thinking out loud.

Yes, BOAT to Hokkaido...lol. It's a 19 hour overnight ferry from Ibaraki to Tomakomai. We always get a stateroom and it's a great time..AND I have the freedom of having my car.

Again, let me know if I can help.

I've done the ferry and it was kinda fun. Prices start from Y8,500 depending on the dates you travel and staying in a room with about 70 other people on futons. I think I got a 'casual room' which starts from Y11,500 and about 6 people in bunks. You can spend up to Y35,000 in a 'suite room'.

When we were in Sendai we'd make the trip a couple times a year. These days..sometimes we fly. From Owarai to Tomakomai it's about 30,000 for the car and driver I believe. The suiteroom is a really nice treat.

Bumping this to ask if anyone has run into trouble using Yamato or other delivery services with the new ``all-in-one'' bags that hold skis, boots & loads of assorted clothing/accessories?

Was just told by Yamato that they'll no longer accept skis & boots in the same bag. Is this just my local guy, or is it a new rule?

Bumping again. Have been told that Yamato will accept unrestricted packages under their `Yamato-bin' banner. Plan to drop by the local service center tomorrow to find out what the deal is. Sagawa told me no problem with any size/contents of ski bags. Problem with them is the hotel I'll be at in Niseko doesn't deal with Sagawa (why? if you have to ask you obviously haven't been in Japan very long).

Again, if anyone has any relevant experience/advice I'd be grateful to hear.