Hi guys, i'm flying into Tokyo today for 10 days total in Japan. We're staying with friends near Maebashi in the Gunma prefecture, and i thought i'd try and get a day of boardin in somewhere close. I've done a little looking around, but its damn confusing. So I'm hoping someone can tell me what is the closest mountain to Maebashi thats open at the moment, with a fairly decent base? I also wont have any of my boarding gear with me, so would need to rent everything. Also, some kind of directions to the mountain would be great. All suggestions, idea's etc greatly appreciated.

brendan@brendan-gray.com

The nearest you'll get I think is to the north in Niigata (Yuzawa - try Kagura resort), or maybe Marunuma to the east of Numata in Gunma. You might want to try Tanigawa Tenjindaira as well in Minakami (Gunma).

Hope that helps.

Try Tanbara...30 min away from Numata IC. It`ll be much cheaper and a safer bet than Tenjindaira, my favorite resort(please notice the sarcasm). Hope you`ll enjoy yourself. \:\) P.S. If possible get your rental gear at one of the shops on the way to the ski area. Some of them are still open for business.