Um there is an international ATM in Hirafu, as stated above, but it does not now accept Mastercard.

This is the first year that one has been available in Hirafu though.

Japan hasn't quite caught on to the idea that you can pretty much do away with cash in this modern world. In Hirafu though many places do now accept credit cards because of the influx of foreigners.

I was thinking of getting those cash cards from travellex or flight centre...

would these be generally accepted anywhere? particularly Niseko? I plan on bringing sufficient cash to Niseko anyway, but also need money for touring later..

AMEX forex do a better rate than Travelex, AND they charge way less commission! AND delivery within a week to Post Offices around Oz. So ... I use them exclusively. Take the Visa for backup.

SantaCruz,

You might be waiting - they would probably have to try some out (and not likely to have that many international cards to try between them). AND, cash is still king in the burbs and out in the wilds of Hokkaido.

Originally Posted By: thursday
It takes Visa and Plus and Amex and JCB.

Just to be VERY clear, thursday, that refers to the Hirafu ATM at the 7/11?
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: thursday
It takes Visa and Plus and Amex and JCB.

Just to be VERY clear, thursday, that refers to the Hirafu ATM at the 7/11?

There is no 7-11 in Hirafu. The ATM is located in the Hokkaido Tracks Holidays office in the Yama Shizen East building. It's a 7-Bank ATM which is exactly the same as those in 7-11's throughout the country.

Actually, I was trying to clarify the reference. The ATM in Hirafu will accept Visa and Plus and Amex and JCB.

There was an intervening post or two, and no reference that made sense to me (I know, slooow and stupid, but hey!), so asking for clarification.

thanks GN for providing that!