hi all, been 2 years since i was on here!

just a quick question...could anyone recommend a good/cheap(ish) place to stay a few nights in Yamagata Zao Onsen? we are heading up to Hokkaido from Tokyo via train on the 1st or 2nd of jan and want to stop over/detour to zao along the way for a few days.

any info would be greatly appreciated on things to see, eat, visit, or jump off.

Oh dear.

But... perhaps they replied and you just didn't get the mail for whatever reason. Tried calling?

Whatever, if they are putting you on lists without permission, I'd let SJ know about it.

I tred to get accomodation at scole around new year and they were fully booked. They said they'd put me on a waiting list but thats no good. Ended up booking Shiga Kogen instead. Any of the other accomodation contacted were exorbitant for over new year

Originally Posted By: Foxpuppet
hi all, been 2 years since i was on here!

just a quick question...could anyone recommend a good/cheap(ish) place to stay a few nights in Yamagata Zao Onsen? we are heading up to Hokkaido from Tokyo via train on the 1st or 2nd of jan and want to stop over/detour to zao along the way for a few days.

any info would be greatly appreciated on things to see, eat, visit, or jump off.

How well do you speak Japanese? Because I can think of some pretty good places to stay that will not cost too much, but you will probably need a bit of Japanese to make the booking.

I stayed at Pension Suis (Swiss) last year and it cost 16,000 yen for one night and two day lift pass. The food was fantastic and the old couple who run the place were lovely. Of course they do not speak any English.

This is also a link to a webpage (in Japanese) for the Zao Pension Village.

http://zao-pension.gob.jp/

I love Pensions and generally only stay in them when at ski resorts in Japan.

well we dont speak it very well, in fact without our trusty phrase book we would be done for...but as for reading it..no way, no knowledge at all.

the first time we went over we stayed in a pension, the couple running it spoke no english, but it was booked by an agent. ever since then we book our own trips to save $ and go longer. i have some japanese friends who may be able to help, but they liuve in oz to.

does anyone here care to interpret for us? sure would be appreciated with many thanks!

• SnowJapan Admin

There is definitely an increasing interest in Zao but finding places that deal in English does seem to be rather difficult. We are trying to find other places that would like to have more foreign guests. If anyone does know of places that might like to suddenly get lots of English emails (!), please do let us know by email editor@snowjapan.com and we'll look into it.

Thanks.