Busy-ness this season : Gifu/South vs Nagano/Niigata

I keep on hearing stories of how the resorts in more southern areas (Gifu and below) are that much busier than many resorts in Nagano/Niigata.

Anyone been to both much to give us an idea of whether that is true or not?

When I have been down to Dynaland or other resorts in that area, they always seem to be quite busy. I've never been down further than that.

Proximity to Kansai and having Nagoya just down the road are two major reasons for the numbers at Gifu resorts. They also seem to be snowboarder friendly (Dynaland and Takasu) and have some good park facilities. I have been 3 times in as many seasons and have yet to time it right for snow good enough to bother riding off piste, but it looks good. Further north there are a lot more choices that are generally less concentrated. My view of Gifu is as the closest resort area I would bother going to.

Davo hit it on the nose. You have 10 million people within 3.5 hours. The freestyle sence is crazy. Opens in November Wings hills. Takasu is rated in alot of Japanese snowboard books as a powder mecca. You can ski fresh lines all day long. Best halfpipes in japan for 4 years running.

The traffic Jam sucks but in 5 years the highway will be totally finished, so that wont be a problem.