• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has shite roaming capabilities, it's cells measure something like 10s of metres, maybe hundreds if in sight of an antenna, so in rural areas ie Niigata, Nagano ie not Tokyo or Yokohama, it has appalling reception.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
If it does the job for Tubs though and is that much cheaper - why waste on 'better' technology?

that is EXACTLY why I made the change over. I deliberately dumbed down in technology, I don't want to surf the internet, I don't want to listen to music and I don't care about "roaming" when travelling, I only want to make messages and phone calls for the bare minimum of price....thank you Mr Willcom!! smile

I ended up in an electric shop toady so I asked about updating my phone. Its an AU one. I've had it for nearly four years, so the battery is getting a bit weak. It takes at least ten minutes to explain how they sell them now, but it works out that they have been charging me 1000 yen a month more than other folks with newer phones. If I use a new one for two years, it will be cheaper than keeping the one I have now.

Silly isnt it.

Yesterday I replaced my son's broken phone which was on a 24 month plan with Optus.

It was cheaper for me to pay out the $333 early termination fee and then re-sign to a new 24 month contract and get the FREE phone, than just buy the phone. I also got an extra $30 per month of included credit in the SAME price plan that I was on. The aim was to get a phone that actually works in Japan - seeing as he will pretty much be spending 2 months of the year there - however that also gave him a phone with GPS, phone holder, car mount, bluetooth ear piece, car charger, home charger, blah blah blah blah...

My battery is on the out - so I was also looking for me - I am over my contract time, so I could have done similar at NO COST ... but I like my phone and I have all the numbers etc in there - so I just went and bought a $50 battery.

He's not a heavy phone user Thursday - so for convenience sake I reckon we will just bear the roaming cost... Now if it was the 2nd son - that would be a different story!! He gets hundreds (might be an exaggeration - but possibly not) texts a day...incoming and outgoing charged for?! I think we might leave HIS phone at home!

I put my order in thursday and asked if they definitely will have stock and she said "yes". So I believed here.

smile

I'll be angry if it doesn't happen! Will report.

Got it!

And it looks really good - nicer than I thought. A good looking 10" screen, wifi, 1GM, 160HDD. Looks good to me. Need to set it all up of course but well please.

groovy

I signed up for 2 years on their PC internet connection plan.

Use the internet on my computer as much as you want (upper limit just under 6000 yen a month) using a USB foma stick thingy. [1000 yen a month if unused]

If I had signed up yesterday, I would have laid down 16000 yen cash.

Today, I laid down 12000 yen cash AND GOT A FREE COMPUTER worth around 40,000 yen

clap