Talked to some of my coworkers about this, and I don't know if this applies much outside of the education employment circle, but despite working such long hours, Japanese don't really work a lot. Instead of 'Work Smarter, not Harder', the Japanese deal with the stress of work life by stretching it out over outrageously long hours. In high stress jobs this equals insanity/death, though in low stress jobs it usually just leads to the person being extraordinarily boring which is much worse I think

I "know of a company" where basic tasks that should have been automated in the 80s are still being done in a manual way.

Ganbaru is really a negative thing at times - better to be 'lazy' and find an easier way to do things that allows you to go home on time rather than spend 3 hours after work doing jobs Excel or Access can do in a millisecond.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Ganbaru is really a negative thing at times - better to be 'lazy' and find an easier way to do things that allows you to go home on time rather than spend 3 hours after work doing jobs Excel or Access can do in a millisecond.

Amen to that... though too bad even if that were allowed bosses would just find more busy work or require more meetings to explain further meetings that pertain to meetings already passed. 'Idleness', or "relaxing" as us westerners call it, is frowned upon in this society. I mean, when you're asked to relocate for work in this country, it's either do it and leave your family for 2+ years, or lose your job...

I heard some time ago that McDonalds Corp promotes their management, and families, to consume their products - breakfast/lunch & dinner. E.g. if management eats it, it must be good philosophy.

Unfortunately, being full of chemicals, sugar and saturated fats, it causes severe health problems.

So, maybe the recent fatalities are linked to a combination of long hours, stress, and really crap food.