Before / after beauty transformation program

Well my friend called it a "beauty transformation program".

It's on now, I don't know the real name. Perhaps Beauty Collosium.

They basically get some rather below average looking people in there, do a background piece on them - usually involving stories of bullying etc - and then "transform" them into "beautiful people".

Now I don't think there's anything bad about wanting to look good, but the way they treat these people "before" is a bit depressing. Poor people. The girl on at the moment is pretty ugly, for want of a better word, and they have these experts checking her over suggesting ways to make her less ugly. Treating her like some kind of animal basically.

Perhaps I'm just in a rather strange mood.

Seen a few of these episodes in shows like Extreme Makeover and The Swan.

The results can sometimes be dramatic:

extreme-makeovers.jpg

You just feel awful for these people, and they are often in tears as their faults are examined one by one. They seem stoked with the final result though. I wonder how easy some of the results are to maintain....I mean make-up and hair done professionally can make a HUGE difference to a look for camera, but it is not sustainable every day. I don't know too many women who feel comfortable troweling on the makeup for a day around the house or in the office.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Its about time somebody started doing something about all those uggers that are out there!! Is this a new policy started by the new governemnt??

wink

you're next. Don't wander away from the queue.

All this reminds me of a quote from Roald Dahl's The Twits. It said something like even the most hideous person, if they are beautiful on the inside can radiate, but a pretty person who is ugly on the inside eventually shows it.

I feel sorry for people who are born ugly, but there was one show on TV where they gave extreme makeovers to people who just looked haggard. I don't have any sympathy for people who's skin resembles a leather bag because they smoke or get bulbous red noses from drinking heavily. Even people missing teeth because they're trailer trash and get into fights. They may be transformed for the time being, but a makeover/plastic surgery isn't going to stop them destroying themselves.

Interesting point Sciclone.

We have been watching the Aussie Beauty and the Geek that is on at the moment because one of Papa's ex-employee's is one of the Geeks - nice guy - Peter.

One of the girls (went home last episode we saw) was just downright ugly - obviously she qualified as a beauty but neither Papa nor I could see what was so 'attractive' about her - she was constantly on about how beautiful she was, and how life has been so hard for her because she was envied by everyone... she was downright mean to the geeks.. her ugly personality just wiped away any attractive physical features she may have had.

Reminds me of that Gwenyth Paltrow movie - Shallow Hal. Like that movie a lot.

The one on last night started off being, er, ugly and ended up looking like some bizarre tranvestite.

Poor woman though you could see she was miserable and had a minus amount of confidence.

It is a trash programme.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Its about time somebody started doing something about all those uggers that are out there!! Is this a new policy started by the new governemnt??

wink

you're next. Don't wander away from the queue.

you can keep my spot in the queue