FEATURE : Is spring season the start or the end? (The Setting Journals)

Quote:
However, with time I learned that finding the best deal can sacrifice convenience, comfort, privacy and safety.
Captive audience then, charge what you want then is it?

Quote:
However, please believe me when I say that ARAI is continuing to try to bring reasonably priced quality offerings to Guests.
But what about taking advantage of your captive audience? So something cheaper and more reasonable is opening for next season then?

??
 Quote:
Originally posted by Blair:
enderzero

Lots of Guests do enjoy the restaurants as they are at ARAI. Some even come because of the restaurants - of course, it does depend on exactly what you are looking for.
That's all well and good Blair but you aren't addressing my issue. In fact you seem oblivious to the what we are saying here. What everyone that has replied to this article has said is we personally find Arai too expensive. I am not saying everyone does...but the majority of readers that are choosing to post do. When you give excuses like, "a lot of people like the restaurants" you are basically telling us you don't want us to come because there are plenty of people that like it the way it is.

Arai is in the middle of nowhere and there is no nightlife of any kind. There are few places to stay near the mountain other than the hotels (none within walking distance that I know of). And there is no such thing as a decent cheap meal once the lifts stop. There isn't even a conbini you can get to without driving other than the tiny mart in the hotel.

I don't mean to trash Arai, but it sounds to me like you are denying these points which I see as facts.

Aside from all of this I like the boarding at Arai. I think it has about the best terrain I have ridden in Japan and it gets a ton of good snow. The hotel is nice and grounds are well maintained and the bath is by far the nicest I have encountered in my limited experience with getting naked with a bunch of other guys.

I guess what I am saying is that unless I lived very nearby I would really have to consider another cheaper, better thought out option before I decided to spend my money on a weekend boarding trip.

After were finished bashing Arai I think we should start on Porshe. I want to drive one but I want to do so for a reasonable cost. I dont want all the features and extras etc.. so why should I have to pay for them just to drive one. They dont even produce a budget model for us poor folk. Until they change I'll be sticking to my Suzuki. thatll teach them.

I dont want to sound like to much of a smart arse but I think that Arai have made their decision as to what market they are catering to and I dont think beating up old blair will help.

That said we should definately make them aware of the market they are missing out on because of their pricing but it sounds like some of you think it is your right to get stuff cheap - we dont expect it of other luxary goods, why arai?

For the most part I don't think that is the case. It seems that to an extent Arai attracts a lot of a certain type of people to it's ski lifts, but is supplying a rather different market with the hotels and restaurants they have there - leaving many of the snowboarders and skiers without much appealing options. If Arai was going for the upmarket consistently then it would be a different matter, but it isn't.

A resort indeed needs balance. At many resorts there are privately owned hotels, hostels pensions, bars, eateries and etc. At Arai this hasnt happened.

Jared your right Arai has focused on the upper middle class customer.

Here are some suggestions.

1 stop charging for the half pipe. In fact move the damm thing all together. If the riders cant see it they wont use it.

Build a terrain park. These kids will buy tickets and not even use the lifts. keep it visible. On days when the avie danger is high the park will go off. In the spring riders will flock to you if build a good park.

Offer a 700 to 1000 yen menu from 10 to 4 olcock.

If the hotel is not at full occ. then try a test run hostel. Use 5 rooms and put 2 bunk beds in one room. Charge say 3000 a night. charge 50% at the onsen and offer no discount on food. remember Im talking test.

Look into expanding more mid level terrain. Half the area in Arai's bounderies is roped off for mostly good reasons. Put a lift up the skiers left side or widen or cut some new trails. most riders are mid level and cant truly enjoy the powder.

Try a reasonable izakaiya menu beer at 500 yen. food from 500 yen. when people get drunk they tend to spend more.

My key point is Arai is in a great spot, but it is not balanced. first needs are a proper park Im sorry but your half pipe sucks. try coming to dynaland to see what one looks like, this is no offense. A park you need a park. A resort needs to nurture the youngins too. Most snowboarders Are teens or early 20s at the moment. If you give them 6 years they will be your next target market.

PS if you do use any of these points of which I have many can I get a job...........

• 5 months later...

Hi Fattwins

I just caught your comments - they are really appreciated. Briefly in reply:

- ARAI will offer a Terrain Park from the 2003-'04 season;

- We do offer a 700 to 1,000 yen menu during the daytime.

Let me know if you head up to ARAI this coming season, as I'd like to hear what you think of our new Terrain Park.