Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this journey, good or bad ??

I have a flight that leaves Chitose at 1225 pm and the bus will only get me into chitose at around 1100 am, if all goes well. 1.5 hours to meet an international flight would be cutting it a bit fine I think ?

I can catch a train that will have me there around 1000 am. Thats if I don't end up at the wrong station or catch a wrong train when I change platforms???

The other alternative would be to bus it the day before and overnight in Sapporo.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

John.

Are you going back to Tokyo first? If so it's really just a domestic flight and 1.5 hours is plenty of time.

The train trip is very scenic, especially the coastal section between Otaru and Sapporo. You normally have to change trains at Otaru and it's pretty easy to work that out.

Either choice would be fine I reckon. Chitose is not exactly a major international airport and getting there 1.5 hours prior to departure should be plenty of time. Get there much earlier and you'll just be waiting around for a fair while.

The train station at Otaru is a fairly small station something along the lines of what we are use to here in Aust and is nothing like the train and subway station that you may experience in say Tokyo. We did the trip last year and had no problems. It was basically get off the train and walk across to the other side of the platform for the train to Sapporo. As Go Native said the information screens on the platforms and within the trains switch between English & Japanese. The trip is well worth doing as you get to see a different part of the country as well as the coast line that can be pretty spectacular. You might even get to see a few keen surfer catching a wave which is pretty amazing to see especially with the snow right up to the waters edge.